S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

wish me luck, Ebay K04's

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:21 PM
1st Gear
Default wish me luck, Ebay K04's

Well i have made up my mind that im going to get the K04's on ebay. They are about $1000 for the pair and come with a warranty (which im not expecting to be a great one). I called the company who makes them and spoke to them on the phone. They said ( and i know they could be telling me anything) that they have sold about 6 sets in the past year and have yet to hear a complaint.

I figure even if they crap out after 80k that is still what i would get out of the K03 and at half the price of the BW turbos. Between that and some aftermarket charge pipes for about $300 give or take $50 I think it is a much more reasonable price then close to $3k for the OEM line up.

I should have the money for the turbos next month and charge pipes shortly after that. Then of course i will be doing a clutch while the motor is out. The only other major peace is the 034 DP which i hear are on back order. That should give me enough time to save up the money for the labor rates.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:29 PM
1st Gear
Default You should...

post on Audizine, or Audiworld. See if you can find any of those "Previous 6 buyers from the past year" and get their feedback.

I'm sure someone will chime in.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 PM
4th Gear

HAHA, then get your flame proof suit on because your going to get burned alive...

IM not flaming you, just saying it will probably happen. GL though and let us all know how it goes. Do you have a link to them?

Josh

Old 06-30-2009, 10:07 PM

oh my god i cant believe you're wasting your money on some peice of **** ebay crap!!! haha im just kidding, i really dont mind ebay. i just wanted to say that before anyone else did. good luck tho!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

All kidding aside, you really cant go all that wrong. If your not planning on keeping the car for another 50+k then who cares. What your buying is an "aftermarket" K04. The dimensions and turbines are the same. The bearing kit and seals however, are not Borg and Warner. I've installed many aftermarket bearing kits into various turbo's over the years. Many of those turbo's are still running strong today. Im not gonna say that your getting the same quality because....your NOT. But for half price it's not a bad deal.
Good luck and keep everyone posted.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

thats what i think so f!uck it right. and even if they do crap out i could buy a Borg Warner internals right?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Personally, i would buy a Borg & Warner bearing kit and install it myself. It's been a while since i've priced out such parts but im thinking the kit would cost 250-300 for both. Now your looking at a K04's for 1300. It's a relatively easy install, as long as you retain stock balancing which isn't to hard to do. In addition, your working with an unused turbo that hasnt seen the extreme temps and conditions that a "used" turbo rebuild would. Hence your turbo centers wont be heat welded to the cast, along with all the hardware to that always seems to break.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Im sure that some of you will call me nuts for rebuilding myself, but i can assure you it's not as complicated as you may think. In fact, i truly believe that company's that rebuild turbo's, love the fact that so many people are scared to take on such a job.
Again, retaining stock balancing is the key, if you dont know how then you need to send em out for balancing. Cost: $65 pc.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

well **** there you have it,
ebay k04 = $999.00
BW baring kit = $300.00
Balancing = $65.00

real K04 = $2,200.00

Savings = $836.00

Old 07-01-2009, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Retaining stock balancing is easy. All you have to do is make "tic" marks on the compressor wheel nut and shaft. Only one compressor wheel needs to be removed. When you put it back together (lining up all tic marks) your in balance.

Quick Reply: wish me luck, Ebay K04's