Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Chipped A3 crushed by Cadillac CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Chipped A3 crushed by Cadillac CTS-V

Coming back from a servicing at Penske in West Covina today around noon, cruising on the 10 West around Downtown. This black Caddy CTS with dealer plates is swooping in and out of traffic, diving into holes, bursts of speed, etc. So I am noticing him, but minding my own businessin the fast lane, doing about 75. I decide to play a little because I'm confident I can hold my own with the typical GM "Northstar" engine. So I make a couple of maneuvers to get ahead of traffic and he clearly sees me.He breaks out from behind a car and really takes off for a few seconds, slingshotting forward. I'm thinking hmmmmm, that burst seemed really fast. Another minute or so, heends right behind me in the fast lane.So I am waiting for the car in front of me topull ahead ofthe car next to me in the center lane. Once I have the space, I pop it in fourth and punch it, zipping into the center lane, notshiftingtill redline. I glance in the mirror to see him follow me into the center lane and then it's eyes forward as I am climbing above 4000 in 5th, which means over 115, and still have the pedal mashed when, a few seconds later,he flys right past me in the fast lane. I'm gonna guess he was doing like 135 when I had to brake for traffic. He was far ahead and clear in the fast lane and kept going; it seemed fruitless/foolhardy to even consider trying to catch him.

So I'm like WTF, my car is no slouch, so how can a Cadillac CTS embarass me this way?? Just before the 405 interchange, I get up closebehind his car again and look closely at the letters on the back. CTS on the right side, ok, but on the left side is this embellished "V" type logo. I'm thinking, V-8?? So when I get home, I go look at the Caddy website. Showing up on the front CTS page as part of an announcement, there is that unmistakable V-logo.From what I can tell, Cadillac is set to intro this car (CTS-V)at the Detroit auto show next week. It is a supercharged V-8 and they claim it makes 550 HP. Says their aim is to make the most powerful production sedan in the world.
So I guess now I don't feel too bad. Was cool to see it open up, regardless of my thrashing.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Chipped A3 crushed by Cadillac CTS-V

Yeah, those V's are serious business.

Great looking A3 BTW!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 AM

I have a friend who had a 2005 CTS-V. Has the same engine and tranny as a Vett. His was a 2005 and was supposed to make 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. He let me drive it once and I absolutely loved it. It's that car that made me sell my truck and pickup a luxury performance vehicle. His was naturally asperated with no S/C or Turbo.

He got out of his lease shortly after I got my S4 so we never had a chance to race

Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Guru

the v comes in many different trims, from a v6 to a v8

Old 01-15-2008, 10:39 AM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

the v comes in many different trims, from a v6 to a v8

Really??? I'm pretty sure there is no =V v6. Maybe it was a V-line you are thinking of.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 AM

Yeah CTS-V's only come in V8. 5.7s, 6.0s and 6.2s. The regular CTS is the V6 model. When I was considering it the 0-60 time on the CTS was like 7.1 seconds or something.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear

The new CTS-V is not out yet. The car you ran was either an LS6 car, or an LS2 car. They're both rated rated at 400hp and 395tq. That explains those 'quick bursts'......

NICE A3 btw.....

Old 01-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Guru

i worked with a kid...... and has seen many floating around........ that are v6's..... maybe they are v line, kind of like the s-line

Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

i worked with a kid...... and has seen many floating around........ that are v6's..... maybe they are v line, kind of like the s-line
I'm no expert on Caddysso could be.

I do know, however, that their commercials are we tall did.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: scg87

The new CTS-V is not out yet. The car you ran was either an LS6 car, or an LS2 car. They're both rated rated at 400hp and 395tq. That explains those 'quick bursts'......

NICE A3 btw.....
This is the acurate info. There is no CTS-V with a V6. And it is one of these cars the OP ran into, not the upcoming 550hp model. I did a few ~30-~100mph pulls with one once in my 2001 Z06. It could almost keep up with me. Mighty fine for a luxury sedan. Driving dynamics are also supposed to be good although I have never driver one. I'd own one if I could afford it, but even the oldest ones still cost about $30k. [:@]

Quick Reply: Chipped A3 crushed by Cadillac CTS-V