Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

How did my Audi A4(B7) 2.0 lose against a Golf Volkswagen Golf Mk4 in a race?

Old 12-05-2013, 04:33 PM
1st Gear
Default How did my Audi A4(B7) 2.0 lose against a Golf Volkswagen Golf Mk4 in a race?

My audi is automatic.

What is worst is that the Golf driver had a passenger (female) (adds to the weight of car)

Basically we both got to the red light and as soon as it turned green, within about 3 seconds he was already 3 cars ahead of me.

I've raced my friends GT Eclipse and always beet him easily, but how the hell did I lose to an old Golf? Are Golf's faster than a GT eclipse?

Or did I make a mistake by putting the car in tiptronic mode and shifting? Basically right when the race started I hit the gas as hard as I could and shifted (-). Could that be it?

Should have I just put audi in "S" sport mode and hit the gas as hard as I could?

Or should I have raised the rpm first by holding down my brake and pressing the gas before launching at the green light?

Also I noticed that when I hit 60+ MPH thats when I was slowly catching up, but he had to make the exit at that point.

So it makes me think that Audi A4 is heavier therefore thats why it seems like he won because his car just flew in the beginning.

He seemed stock, I don't think he had any mods, his car looked and sounded normal.

Last edited by certifiedprofile; 12-05-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should be? #RIPPaul

But in all honesty, most respectable forums look down upon public admittance of street racing since it is an illegal activity, and you may be chastised for such. Just so you know haha.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

Maybe he had a good tune and more under the hood than you. THat all it takes. Do you have mods? Intake, exhaust, a tune?

Old 05-20-2014, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by edepaolo
Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should be? #RIPPaul
^^Awesome LOL

Next time you're on the track you "might" have more luck using your left foot on the brake, still use triptronic, when it's about go time press the gas a tiny bit (TINY bit, just to raise the rpm's maybe 500) then when she turns green, smash the vertical pedal at the same time lift your left off the horizontal pedal... I dunno your car and how long it takes to shift but if your rev limiter (you have hit that before right?) if it interrupts at say 7000, you wanna avoid hitting it so I'd stay say 400rpm below it, it your auto while accelerating hard takes say 400rpm to actually "shift" then I would probably flip your shifter at about 6300rpm... REPEAT 3 more times lol

*All numbers are assumptions... learn your car.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

it could have been a de badged GLI
jettas are a lot lighter than we are
your diverter valve could be blown and robbing you of power, theyre cheap and easy to replace
gear selection is key, the rule of thumb is the lowest you gear you can without hitting the red line. keep in mind your car is an AWD turbo car, and therefore weighs a lot and is notoriously difficult to get a clean launch. the turbo we get stock isnt too big so it does end up peetering out in the higher revs, so short shifting a bit below the redline is most likely going to be fastest.

and next time if you want to race, get a