Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

Squeaking Suspension Help

Old 04-10-2005, 01:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Squeaking Suspension Help

Hi. I have a 1997 A4 1.8 Turbo Quatro with about 72,250 original miles and has been a great car till the end of last summer. I had the car serviced at the end of August because when the car turned left or right, there would be a terrible squeaking noise coming from the front suspension area. The dealership replaced both right (passenger side) upper control arms. After that service, there were no problems till the end of October where the squeaking noise, when turning, reoccurred again, which progressively got worse. Again the car was service again at the dealership where the lower control arm was replaced along with the wishbone. Come January, the car was serviced again because a squeaking noise when turning. This time, the lower control arm and the wishbone on the driver side of the car was replaced. After that replacement, there hasn’t been problems till now, when each time I turn the steering wheel left of right when I drive, I can hear the squeaking noise again and it is progressively getting worse each time I drive the car. Also, when the car goes over some minor and major bumps, sometimes, you can hear the same squeaking noise as well. Has anyone experienced this problem before and can anyone please tell me what the solution to my problems without forking over several more thousands of dollars in repairs and parts. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:48 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Squeaking Suspension Help

Those symptoms are typical of control arms, bushings, and tie rods.
Of course the shocks could be the problem, too. Test that yourself by pushing down hard on the front of your car and see if you can duplicate the sound. If not, then it's probably not the shocks.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:14 AM

Hi ImolaS4,

I have a similar problem as al1d8gun did but on my Audi TT 2000 180hp. It has progressively gotten worse. I've had 3 mechanic friends look at it and twice sprayed lubricant on the bushings and the struts. The last friend to look at it showed me by pushing down hard on the front of my car, the squeaky noise could be duplicated when the my car is idel. Question I'd like to ask you is if I take it to the dealership, should I mention that it may be "control arms, bushings, tie rods and/or shocks?" I just want to avoid going to the dealership multiple times over a long period like al1d8gun.

Thanks for your advice-in-advance!

Regards,
John

Old 06-23-2005, 08:46 PM

i dont have the problem, nor will i because ihave different bushings....but in the older ones, (96-99 ibelieve)..the bushings on the control arms and tie rods were made of polyurethane, though polyurethane lasts longer than the material they are made of now, they became dry. and when they become dry, the squeak. so most of the time, it just needs re-lubrication. if that doesnt do it, they need to be replaced. but many people say why cant i just change the bushings? the answer is you cant, they came as a one piece unit and if u must replace them, u have to replace the whole thing, u cannot just replace the bushing itself...with the newer ones, though they dont last as long, you dont get any noises at all...however, i have an 01 A4 quattro 1.8T, my control arm bushings went bad on me months ago, it has about 71K miles on it and i need them replaced already. the control arms that is. $108 a piece! and theres 4 of them!! im screwed. IM me if u want: Mrqueif45

Old 06-24-2005, 01:09 AM

I have the similar problem with my Audi A6. I thought it was the power steering and changed the power steering fluid...but it didn't work..

Old 07-02-2005, 02:21 AM
Administrator

so your saying that if this noise isnt the shocks (tell by duplicating) then it is most likely the bushings.. would you recommend to these gents to just lube and see if that solves it.. or is it pretty crucial to just have them replaced?

Old 08-03-2005, 09:13 PM

upper and lower control arms were replaced (dealership) on my a6 after the 19"s went on. they started squeaking very loudly 2 weeks after i bolted the rims on. it's all good now.

Old 09-02-2005, 04:11 PM

My Audi does the same thing it seems the worst when the weather changes from hot to cold and vice versa. I have sprayed the bushings with lubricant but it still came back its annoying.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

Have anybody got these I red a lot about meyle control arms and one friend recomended it to me I`m about to buy it.It should be much stronger and last longer then stock arms.here`s link,what you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...spagenameZWDVW

http://www.meyle.com/html/news/details.php?id=88

Old 11-10-2009, 10:10 AM

Unless there is damage to the metal arms, Why would i want to replace control arms instead of just replacing the bushings? I understand these are the only parts (excluding fatigue) that actually wear out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking Suspension Help