VAG-COM (*New* section) Need some help with a VAG-COM? Have some good advice to offer others using a VAG-COM?

low cost VAG solutions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo .45
How is that program ddifferent from the vag-com software? Sounds like it will do everything, or most things The Vag-com software will do. Torque will read sensors and clear codes but will not allow you to change anything.

I'm going to look into this software since I have a droid😊
Thanks for the info!
Yes, look into it
It's different from Vag-com in that it is a mobile app and also that it does not read live data. It does do the same kind of diagnostics and it can clear the codes the same way. It can change adaptations (settings), but for now, it does not do ECU coding. We're working on adding coding capabilities as well, plus adding more adaptations. Vag-com supports more of those as it stands right now, but we're working on catching up. The disadvantage of Vag-com is the very high price ($300 for Vag-com vs $30 for Carista) and the fact that you have to bring a laptop with you and deal with cables, etc. Carista just runs on your Android phone or tablet and connects to the car wirelessly via a Bluetooth dongle. Let me know how it goes for you.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

I purchased the program....my 2000 A6 2.7t is not supported
All I can do is read and clear codes

Old 07-10-2014, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Yea, I'm not impressed with these types of responses either. What I have found is that the eBay cables will. of work with the vagcom software unless it is a specific protocol type. A lot of good info@ nefmoto. I'm torn on burning my own chip or just spending 600 on a proven chip such as the Apr stage 1. I do have the torque program for my droid which did pull up codes so if you ha e a droid all you need is the.torque app and an obd2 Bluetooth addapter that you Can get at Amazon. For. 15$ I have the.elm327 which.worms.great on my f350.diesel truck and my a6
thanks very much for the information. I am downloading it right now. I see they had a Torque Lite (free) Torque Pro (4.95). Does the Lite work just as good as the Pro or is it worth paying the 4.95 for the Pro.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

Yea, I'm not impressed with these types of responses either. What I have found is that the eBay cables will. of work with the vagcom software unless it is a specific protocol type. A lot of good info@ nefmoto. I'm torn on burning my own chip or just spending 600 on a proven chip such as the Apr stage 1. I do have the torque program for my droid which did pull up codes so if you ha e a droid all you need is the.torque app and an obd2 Bluetooth addapter that you Can get at Amazon. For. 15$ I have the.elm327 which.worms.great on my f350.diesel truck and my a6

Do I need to download the ELM327 bluetooth adapter as well? What the piece that I need to purchase from Amazon?

Thanks

Old 07-11-2014, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

Last edited by farmhood; 03-13-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by farmhood
After I saw the post I got the
torque pro app off the play store and the obd2 Bluetooth adapter from Amazon. Very inexpensive option for getting started...works exactly as the poster described.
Thanks farmhood, for clearing it up for me. I did get the torque pro and will go and order the BT adapter from Amazon.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

The torque pro is the way to go. Inexpensive and a great program. ELM 327 blue tooth OBD2 adapter is what I used. Pairs easily to my phone.

I made the mistake of assuming that the program was compatible with our C5 Quattro's since the rep was on this forum.......will not work with C5's so 20 bucks down the drain for me..... Unless they plan on supporting our cars???????????????????????????????????????

Old 08-16-2014, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by foos
I am looking to help diagnose my new (to me) 2001 A4 Avant 2.8 (30v- 5spd) and was looking to get a low cost VAG tool so I can diagnose and delete error codes. I dont have a PC laptop, so I dont want to get the cable and software. Not looking for all the bells and whistles, just basics... I was looking at this :
So did anyone actually answer the OPs initial question? I looked at the Carista software and it says it doesn't support my make / model / year (2003 Audi TT). I don't want to use my laptop.

Will the device Matt pointed out on Amazon

Robot Check Robot Check

do ALL the same stuff as VCDS-Lite or Carista?

Old 08-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

I purchased the program....my 2000 A6 2.7t is not supported
All I can do is read and clear codes
Johnny Bravo .45, it's not possible that you PURCHASED Carista because it only offers the paid functionality if it detects that the car is compatible. The C5 A6 is definitely not supported (as it says on our web page). The app is free to download and you only pay if you want to use the Pro features and you have a compatible car. Please let me know if you somehow got charged and I'll give you a refund. You can email me at support@caristaapp.com

The Mk1 TT is also not supported. Carista only supports CAN-based models due to restrictions of the ELM327 hardware.

For the record, Carista can read and clear OBD2 error codes for all OBD2-compatible cars, just the same way as Torque Pro can. Carista does NOT display real-time data, as that's not the focus of our app. Use Torque for that. Where we shine is the VAG-specific diagnostics and coding for supported models (generally, 2005+ models; check the supported vehicles page for a full list).

Old 09-26-2014, 10:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Carista
Johnny Bravo .45, it's not possible that you PURCHASED Carista because it only offers the paid functionality if it detects that the car is compatible. The C5 A6 is definitely not supported (as it says on our web page). The app is free to download and you only pay if you want to use the Pro features and you have a compatible car. Please let me know if you somehow got charged and I'll give you a refund. You can email me at support@caristaapp.com

The Mk1 TT is also not supported. Carista only supports CAN-based models due to restrictions of the ELM327 hardware.

For the record, Carista can read and clear OBD2 error codes for all OBD2-compatible cars, just the same way as Torque Pro can. Carista does NOT display real-time data, as that's not the focus of our app. Use Torque for that. Where we shine is the VAG-specific diagnostics and coding for supported models (generally, 2005+ models; check the supported vehicles page for a full list).

Can your car read every existing DTC code there is available from each and every module on a B7 A4? I thought that modern Audis require HEX and CAN communication.

Quick Reply: low cost VAG solutions