VAG-COM (*New* section) Need some help with a VAG-COM? Have some good advice to offer others using a VAG-COM?

Trans is slipping and OBDII or Vagcom won't connect

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Trans is slipping and OBDII or Vagcom won't connect

So I have a 2000 Audi a6 4.2 with 133,xxx miles on it and the transmission is slipping and the car will not connect to any electronic scanner.

The transmission slips in 1st and 2nd and has become progressively worse, so I have stopped driving to hopefully limit the damage. Basically from a stop, the car begins to accelerate and then its like it shifts into neutral for a a second ( the rpms rise with no more acceleration) and then does a hard shift into the next gear. It only does this when the car is warm. for the first 10 minutes, it shifts fine.

Ive read up a little on the transmission and pulled up the tcu to check for water damage. it looked like there had at somepoint in the last 10 years been water in there, but it was not wet when the slipping began. The module looks like its in good shape as all the contacts look clean and not corroded or anything.

I also read that some sometimes slipping is the result of low tranny fluid levels, but theres no dipstick for the tranny. so should I try adding fluid through an indy shop? as far as i know, the fluid has never been flushed or changed, and I havent seen any spots in my driveway...

Secondly, the car will not connect to any diagnostic tools. I had a smiliar occurance about a year earlier and the abs unit was bad. Replaced the unit and it worked... well until now. I was told to unplug modules and then try to connect which could help find the bad unit ( ie if I unplug the bad one, it should connect). I did this with the tcm and the accessory module under the passenger footwell. Is there a chance it could be a bad ABS replacement?

I dont have much money, which I why I am trying everything before dropping thousands into a rebuilt tranny. My dad and I are pretty mechanically inclined, but am wondering what to do next... Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by DHbiker; 02-08-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: addin info
Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear

Try adding fluid. You have to get past the VAG-COM problem first as you need to be able to monitor transmission temperature as you add fluid. Search on transmission fluid and you will find a link to the exact process.

Bob

Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
3rd Gear

If you have an aftermarket radio VagCom will sometimes not work... remove the radio fuse and see what happens.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies.

We have some audi fluid but are waiting to solve the software issues before trying to add any fluid. It still has the stock radio, but would you still reccommend unplugging the fuse and trying to connect? Should I do this with other modules such as the clmate control etc to try and find the problem?

And for the fluid, I'm not too knowlegeable with trannys, but with the zf5hp24a, wont it simply overflow out an overfolw drain if too much fluid is added? Could I possibly just add fluid until it is full and I will its full because it will start to overflow?

Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
3rd Gear

Do a search in this forum on filling the trans.. There is very specific procedure that requires the use of Vagcom to read the temp at which the fluid just begins to flow out of the fill plug.