VAG-COM (*New* section) Need some help with a VAG-COM? Have some good advice to offer others using a VAG-COM?

Vagcom

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM
1st Gear
Default Vagcom

Is this a free software (or "shareable" software) that I get or does this need to be paid for? If so where can I get it?

Old 02-14-2012, 12:04 PM
4th Gear
Old 02-14-2012, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

Which would I need for simple things like reset cel and code reading?

Heard I need it for swapping radio also

Old 02-14-2012, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

Which cable I mean

Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Vagcom is a tool used for Audi, and VW diagnostics, ie. repairs, and servicing. Google the word: "Ross Tech" they give you a link to download their software to a PC, then you need to purchase their interface cable (dongle) to hook to your vehicle. Prices range from $99 to $350 depending upon your needs. Their website is very informative and the customer support is excellent. I purchased the VCDS LIcense with HEX-USB+CAN Inerface for my 2006 Audi A6, 3.2 Quattro to retract the electronic parking brake calipers in order to change the rear brake pads. The front brake pads are simple to change, but the rear requires a VAGCOM or equivalent. I was going to bite the bullet and let a local shop do the rear brakes, but they wanted $350 to replace the pads and turn the rotors. For that price I can buy the Audi Diagnostic tool and change the brakes myself and break even, pluse I'll have the tool for future use. I do all my servicing which means I can reset the service light after oil changes, brakes, etc.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 PM
4th Gear

if you plan on doing a simple reset. You can either go the ebay route and buy a knock off cable and download the free ross tech lite version or pay 100 and get a license for the cable or you can also get a bluetooth plug on amazon.com i think its the elm32 that works with a app on the market called torque. You can clear and see codes with that one but thats about it. On the ebay one you can check codes get into some control modules one tounch windows with key coming home feature. But the true ross tech cable can do just about everything from logging to check air ratios with fuel. It does everything. Depends excatly what u plan on using this for and how long also.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

Right now I'll go the cheap route but it looks like if I want to keep the car I'll have to buck up the $300

Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 AM
1st Gear

i also hear that if you do any work to your car that you will need to use a vagcom to make the car "know" that its there. almost like a retune but not so in depth, any truth or input to this?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM
4th Gear

vag come is mostly to diagnose and clear codes. never heard it being nesscary to have it while working on the car. I have only the cheap cable and the bluetooth scanner as i never had the need to log my car. The bluetooth is actually quiet impressive being that its run off a app on the cell phone versus the ebay cable which needs a laptop or computer to work.,

Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

from what i'm reading up on, it's because of everyone putting hi flow cats on their cars. the o2 sensor goes all crazy reading offset levels and needs to be ok'd. it's because everything is so damn computer based

Quick Reply: Vagcom