VAG-COM (*New* section) Need some help with a VAG-COM? Have some good advice to offer others using a VAG-COM?

Vagcom: Car not compatible error

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Vagcom: Car not compatible error

ok first off i know there is about 9,000,000 vagcom threads and im sure they wreck heads but i have searched and searched and still have a problem.

Bought $20 vagcom from alpha-bid. Installed drivers and rosstech 409.1-US software as instructed. pluged in cable and got COM 3 working. All seemed perfect, almost too easy.

Turned key in ignition to on - dash lights on. Plugged in usb and obd to car and auto-scanned. No results. Tried the OBD-II option (bottom left) and got this error:

VAG-COM OBD-II Compatibility Test
Test Status: Test Complete
Result: Car is NOT ISO/OBD-II Compatible!
If this car is a VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda
Try SELECT-> Individual controllers

Now i have disconnected the radio, no difference. I have tried some individual controllers (eg. engine), no difference. My car is an Irish 2000 1.8NA A4.

Any ideas?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 AM
2nd Gear

Wow I am only responding so i am subscribed to look at it later when I am sober to think about this.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 AM
5th Gear

you might have it plugged into the wrong USB port. you have to plug it into the same port that you initially had it in when you set up the com for it

Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 AM
1st Gear

Nope, laptop i used only has one USB port.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:19 PM

mine did this when I forgot to install the drivers for the cable. You might try reinstalling the drivers

Old 10-02-2009, 04:45 AM

hey badman, i see you are in Ireland. I'm an Audi mechanic in the Dublin area, i'm not sure where you are in the country, but if you were in the Dublin area any weekend i'd be happy to take a look for you free gratis.

I'm a bit of an Audi nut,so even in my spare time i like to look at them!
I've come across this problem before with older A4 models

Old 10-02-2009, 06:04 AM
1st Gear

Nice one mate. Ya I live in Dublin myself, down in clonskeagh. I would definitely take you up on that offer - maybe Sunday? If that is too short notice then no problem i'm in London the following weekend but the weekend after would be fine too.

Before all that though im going to try get to the bottom of the issue tommorrow so hopefully there will be no need to bother you. Ill keep you posted.

You work for one of the dealerships around? What do you drive?

Old 10-02-2009, 06:18 AM

Yeah i work in Belgard Audi out in Tallaght. I was driving a 08 A4 2.0T, but given cut backs at the garage traded down to an 04 recently.

I know Clonskeagh, i'm prob not available on Sundays but if you cant figure it out gimme a shout on Saturday afternoon and i can meet you somewhere around Clonskeagh, its not too far a drive from Lucan. I have a simple patch for vagcom software on my laptop, like i said some models have compatibility issues.

I'll send you my number by private message

Old 10-02-2009, 07:00 AM
1st Gear

Thanks a million for that, I'm working this Saturday in Wicklow so wont be around Dublin until later (4 or 5ish I'd say). How would that suit?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 AM

I'll tell you what, i'll probably be around town, maybe even Dundrum on Saturday afternoon, so i'll throw the laptop in the car, and if you call and i'm free i'll come meet you. If not i'll catch you another weekend. It shouldnt take any more than 10 minutes to get it working

Quick Reply: Vagcom: Car not compatible error