Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

Audi A4 Quattra, new rims/tires and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 Quattra, new rims/tires and vibration

I bought 4 new aftermarket rims for my A4 quattro, and had the two rear tires replaced. One of the tires had a bulge, and the other was worn to 8/32. The tires a Pirelli P4's. I reminded the salesman it is a quattro and he said that the tires on the same axel needed replaced.

The rims were replaced because they said one of the way bent. The rims have some road rash from the previous owner, so that did not seem far fetched. I am new to quattro, but upon further research Audi says the tires need to be within 4/32 of eachother, so I would guess I did not even really have to replace the other back tire. The new tires are 11/32. The fronts are still 9/32.

THE PROBLEM- Since I replaced the tires and rims the car shakes at 55 mph pretty bad. It also pulls to the right pretty bad. It did not do this before. I took the car back and they rebaklanced the tires. Now it is better, but still shakes at 75 mph and pulls to the right just as bad.

I called AUDI and they suggested it was the aftermarket rims and I should go back to stock. Is that just AUDI being arrogant or is there truth to that? What could be the problem? Alignment?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RYRYFREE
I bought 4 new aftermarket rims for my A4 quattro, and had the two rear tires replaced. One of the tires had a bulge, and the other was worn to 8/32. The tires a Pirelli P4's. I reminded the salesman it is a quattro and he said that the tires on the same axel needed replaced.

The rims were replaced because they said one of the way bent. The rims have some road rash from the previous owner, so that did not seem far fetched. I am new to quattro, but upon further research Audi says the tires need to be within 4/32 of eachother, so I would guess I did not even really have to replace the other back tire. The new tires are 11/32. The fronts are still 9/32.

THE PROBLEM- Since I replaced the tires and rims the car shakes at 55 mph pretty bad. It also pulls to the right pretty bad. It did not do this before. I took the car back and they rebaklanced the tires. Now it is better, but still shakes at 75 mph and pulls to the right just as bad.

I called AUDI and they suggested it was the aftermarket rims and I should go back to stock. Is that just AUDI being arrogant or is there truth to that? What could be the problem? Alignment?
I would suggest having them road forced balanced. Let the installer know the speeds you are having issues at. If that doesn't do it, I would also then suggest having a wheel run out done to make sure the wheels are not bent or out of round.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

Aftermarket rims have a larger boar and use hub centric rings to reduce the boar to fit many applications. I just went through 3 months of agony to find this out. Have whoever installed the rims use a quality set of rings, (I machined my own on my lathe) after swapping out the rings, I was riding on glass again.
Paul

Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 AM
1st Gear
Cool Exactly!

My tire dealer in MI used plastic hub centric rings that didn't even catch the surface they were SUPPOSED to use for centering. I replaced them with machined metal rings and Loctited them into the rims. I also took care to tighten all lugs to 90 ft./lb. BEFORE setting the car down. This is important since if you set the weight of the car on the wheels before being tight, you will push the wheel off center. I also don't believe plastic is a good choice. Think about almost 1,000# sitting on plastic!