Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

HELP! Just got new wheels mounted and I have severe shaking at highway speeds!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 03:42 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP! Just got new wheels mounted and I have severe shaking at highway speeds!

So, I just got a new set of wheels mounted and balanced at my local shop and now once I am at 55 mph+, I get fairly excessive shaking in the steering wheel, gad pedal, seat etc. It goes from minor to major as I am driving at highway speeds. Took it back to the shop and had them rebalance and check the centering rings and clips and they were fine. Took it back on the highway and it was WORSE than before! [confused]

I spoke with Tirerack.com and they suggested I have my shop swap the drivers front and rear wheels and see if that helps. I guess I will try this next. It's not the tires as they are brand new and the car was smooth as silk with the old OEM Audi wheels on the tires.

I am frustrated as hell, especially since 80% of my driving is highway miles! Any input or suggestions??

Thank you in advance.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Certified

If they are aftermarket wheels they will need spacers on the hubs to properly center the wheels. If they are missing or the wrong size = big vibrations.
The other likley problem is they are balanced incorrectly. The gene pool is not that good in most tire shops.

Last edited by M5S5; 05-23-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

They came with the centering rings. I would like to think that Tirerack.com would have told me I needed spacers for the wheels that they sold me specifically for my car. I dealt with Lance from Tirerack and would find it hard to believe he would have left out that important of a detail.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Former Sponsor

This wheel fitment should not require the use of spacers. I left you a message a few minutes ago if you get a chance give me a call. I want to get the details and get with the engineers so we can get it resolved. Something is obviously wrong and we want to get it corrected.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Well.... I had another tire shop balance the wheels and tires and then jumped on the highway. Hit 50 or so and the shaking began again. Got bad at 65 or so to the point that it was actually making me queasy. The steering wheel and gas pedal vibrated excessively and the drivers seat felt like a massage chair, minus the massage.

Needless to say, I am very frustrated. Lance from Tirerack, to his credit, is working on this for me and is discussing with his team to try and resolve.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:36 PM
1st Gear

OK, so Lance at TireRack.com has sent me a set of piloted hub centric rings that his team claims will fix my problem. I hope to have them tomorrow so I can have my local shop install them before the holiday weekend. I will update the thread after this has occured.

Here's hoping this smoothes things out!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

I had a similar problem when putting my wheels on. Are you using new lugs? If not the threads on the lugs can become corroded and feel tight when they really aren't. Try cleaning up the threads and use some anti seize to keep them from corroding again

Old 05-31-2012, 12:44 PM
4th Gear

i was going to say u have to get hubcentric wheels right. Cuz thats what our cars call for. If not it wont seat right to the hub. As for the spacers no wheel should ever need spacers unless u watch to get the flush look.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Well.... I had the new centering rings installed and the wheels remounted. The vibration is better but not gone. There is still minimal to moderate vibration at speeds of 65+. It seems to vary in intensity and come and go but there is almost always some vibration through the steering wheel, gas pedal and seat.

I will be ensuring the tires are correctly inflated and have an alignment done to see if that makes any difference. After that, I'm not sure how much more I can endure if the vibration isn't completely gone. This has been a very frustrating experience for me.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 34dean
Well.... I had the new centering rings installed and the wheels remounted. The vibration is better but not gone. There is still minimal to moderate vibration at speeds of 65+. It seems to vary in intensity and come and go but there is almost always some vibration through the steering wheel, gas pedal and seat.

I will be ensuring the tires are correctly inflated and have an alignment done to see if that makes any difference. After that, I'm not sure how much more I can endure if the vibration isn't completely gone. This has been a very frustrating experience for me.
I sent you an email as well.

I was speaking to the engineers about this. They are asking for you to get the road force numbers from the installer. If it comes and goes with the speed changes, it sounds more like a tire issue. This is a concern especially since you used your existing set of tires.

If you can get those to me I will get with them.

Quick Reply: HELP! Just got new wheels mounted and I have severe shaking at highway speeds!