Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

New A6 2.7T (04)....rim fitting issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Default New A6 2.7T (04)....rim fitting issues

Hello...recently purchased a 2004 A6 2.7T S line....great ride...really just beginning to understand the excitment of
driving the Silver Bullet...here is what I want to do...

1. Put a new set of rims..but am not sure about fitting properly...I want to buy from EBAY...some of the tire/rim sellers
mention a A6 2.7T and 2.7T Option1 does anyone know the difference and how I can tell what will fit my car (currently
running Pirelli 235/45/17 on teh 9 Spoke OEM rims that come with the S Line...need some solid guidance on what I can
and can't do....oh I did go to teh dealership..they weren't sure of anything...

2. Want to add a chip...how will that affect gas mileage? (will it go down because I will want to drive faster?)

Ok that is babbling...

Bart

Old 04-14-2005, 01:14 PM
1st Gear
Default You have several options...

...just make sure that the bolt pattern is correct 5x112, and that the offset and spoke pattern are comparable. Your current wheels are 17x7.5" ET43 offset. If you are looking for larger wheels, 18" you could try to find a set of the OEM 18" Ultrasport/S-line wheels, which are 18x8" ET43 offset which will take 235 40 18 tires for your car.

One suggestion, try to stay OEM Audi, since they tend to be stronger wheels. Lots of replicas out there that lack the quality of OEM. One pot hole, you are shopping for a new rim to replace the bent one. Good replica manufacturers inlcude Hartmann, which can be found at achtuning.com They often run wheel and tire specials, and they know what fits your model car.

The 2.7T had more of a wheel fitment issue for 2000-2001, when Audi used the HP2 barke calipers in front, which limit your wheel choices significantly. 2002 and later, Audi changed the front calipers to something less obtrusive.

You should browse around and see who has mounted what wheels, and see if you like the look. You should also check out AudiWorld because people tend to post more pictures there.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Default RE: New A6 2.7T (04)....rim fitting issues

Thanks Boston Driver, I will check out Audi World as well. Would you say that an ET of 43 is
a hard fit? Also I am looking at a pair of Hamann 19x8.5 & 10 wheels (A6 pics are on the ebay site)
Does anyone know if Hamann produces quality rims? They are 10 inches wide in the back...thinking this
will give the car an agressive look, but I could be very wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...966739754&rd=1

Bart

[IMG]local://upfiles/6679/8DF234BEBD66447EB7BA7A9BC0DA1CE9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6679/19E3F33968214078A5377C64BCB7FAA2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-13-2005, 03:08 PM
1st Gear
Default BD!!!

I was reading this response and was thinking "wow, such a high quality response...who is this guy?" Then I look at the user name and realize... "BD!!"

When it comes to rims on a 2.7T, this is the guy to talk to: BD was the first to discover wheel mounting issues on the older HP2 equipped models.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:32 PM
1st Gear
Default ST40 BBK and 2002 OEM 17 inch rims

All,

Will my OEM 17 inch rims work with the stoptech ST40 calipers? I am guessing 16 inch stock will not fit, but I am hoping the 17 inch will work.
I downloaded the fitment template from stoptech and did what it said, but I am still not sure once installed with all the weight of the car that it will work properly.

Regards,
Chris

Old 05-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Default RE: ST40 BBK and 2002 OEM 17 inch rims

Yeah your right about BD great guy with a lot of a6 knowledge. When I first started posting on here not so long ago BD and FormulaGigi helped a lot. Some of the other forums are not so friendly.

On to your chip question. Yes it does not help gas milage, but oddly enough if you stay off the throttle and drive easy w/ w/out the chip you will get better milage with the chip. Well at least I did, but with 320 horses under the bonnet its hard to stay off it! Its a blast now. As for wheels, I would get some quality Hartmann wheels rather than ebay wheels. Our a6's are heavy, about 2 tons, so its easy to bend a wheel. Hartmann makes very strong wheels that look great on our cars. I would get Gigi's DTMs!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear

way to plug gigis wheels hahah i ebay-ed wheels i already bent one ... I was going rather fast though and did hit a large hole ... you shouldnt be paying less then 1000 for wheels and if you are they are cheap and the chrome will probably rust esp if it is on ebay and a no name brand ... u pay for what you get ...thats the truth!!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 PM
2nd Gear

yeah thanks for the plug, darn now I owe you a fee if he buys
I got comments and azsnwers for this thread but gotta put the kiddos in bed first so laters fellas

Old 05-14-2008, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: SilverBulletA6

Hello...recently purchased a 2004 A6 2.7T S line....great ride...really just beginning to understand the excitment of
driving the Silver Bullet...here is what I want to do...

1. Put a new set of rims..but am not sure about fitting properly...I want to buy from EBAY...some of the tire/rim sellers
mention a A6 2.7T and 2.7T Option1 does anyone know the difference and how I can tell what will fit my car (currently
running Pirelli 235/45/17 on teh 9 Spoke OEM rims that come with the S Line...need some solid guidance on what I can
and can't do....oh I did go to teh dealership..they weren't sure of anything...

2. Want to add a chip...how will that affect gas mileage? (will it go down because I will want to drive faster?)

Ok that is babbling...

Bart
HI Bart,
first of congrats on the 04 2.7T, a great choice! I love driving mine, it is a real nice car and you'll enjoy it if you take care of it.
So on to rims now, you did not specifiy what size you were going for in your OP nor what style you like most and are considering buying.
Personally I would stick to 18's, maybe 18 X 8.5 to get a decent stretch, I myself find the 8" a little too narrow for 235's. But 18 X 8 will work. I have them on now and have no complaints really. 19's will look better, more aggressive but you'll pay the price in comfort and bent wheels. YOU will become an expert in pothole spotting 35 tire wall tires are just too thin for our 4000 lbs car IMO. I had BBS CK and BBS RS GTs in 19 X 8.5 with 35 series tires... On the front wheels, when the car was parked, the tire wall under the front wheels was almost non existent due to the weight on the front axle.
2004 Audis have more managable brakes as mentioned by BD above, earlier models had huge brakes that made it more difficult to find wheels. Offset was more important, design and often times spacers were required.
I like a 35ET wheel b/c it puts the outer edge of the wheel almost perfectly at the fenders' edge wihtout a spacer which looks really good IMO. I had the RSGTs in ET38 and they were fine, slightly more recessed in the fenders, that's all. But if you're gonna spend $$$ in
aftermarket wheels, might as well get a set that look the best including its position vs. the fender edge.
Typically the following sizes work well 18 X8 or 18 X 8.5 or 19 X 8 or 19 X 8.5 without issues, I would get an offset of 35 is possible or close. ET 30 may be too aggressive and stick out too much and if you're lowered cause rubbing against the fender instead of the liner.
There are too many designs and colorsto discuss and it is a matter of taste and also car shape/color, I personally hate chrome and like simple wheels. I don't like rims where the spokes or center come out pass the edge, I like them a littke recessed in towards the middle or liie a smalllip. Lip will give you a littl emore aggressive look, very nice I think but also will most likely make your wheel look smaller so if you pick 18's, they might look more like 17's. Long flatter spokes no lip will tend to make the rim look bigger.
My faves are RS6 Reps, RS4 DTMs, BBS CH, BBS RS GT, BBS LM, Oettinger RE, RH RAT.... and many more I am actualy thinking of buying the new Black Series BS CH if I can sell my other wheels (18 DTM and 17 BBS RC)
A forged wheel will be lighter and stronger so I recommend them if you find one you like and can afford.
Please do no buy cheap as heck knock offs or other super mega deal on EBAY, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is
Hartman makes lots of replicas and I have a set (DTMs) but some say they are soft. Spend the $$ for reputable strong wheels, it'll pay off. Like BD I like factory like wheels specifically the RS6 and DTMs but I would not limit myu search to those. Most look a little boring. Theya re great solid strong wheels out there.... ask members to post pics and share their experience... I'll post pics of ome of tghe wheels I have had...

As for the chip, many threads have discussed them and the mileage incraese or decrease... no verdict I would say. Some see an increase of 1 or 2 mpg, others a decrease of 1 to 2 Mpg. personally I get worse gas mileage but I have other mods.
The chip is an amazing affordable mod that will make you feel like you are driving a new car. If you drive sensibly, you should be about equal in gas mileage.

good luck and happy modding
Brice

Old 05-14-2008, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear

all that being said, yeah I think you should buy my 18" DTMs
See them on sig pic...
they are 18 X 8 ET35 Hartmann RS4 DTM
close up

Quick Reply: New A6 2.7T (04)....rim fitting issues