Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

Replica wheels... Are they any good??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Replica wheels... Are they any good??

hi there.. Been shopping around for a 2nd set for my winter tires for my B8 2.0T Sport package.. Looking at ebay.. there's a few cheap sets of good looking wheels (~550 for 4), and I've also checked out Hartmann's site. Also looking at eowheelsllc.com

They're all quite cheap, especially compared to the OEMs from the dealerships.

Anyone had success or problems with any replica wheels that you can share?? I would have to have a TPMS sensors installed of course, and have the tires mounted and balanced, etc.

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Default I'm Interested Too

I'll likely be in the same boat soon, so look forward to any replies.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 AM

You just need to do a little research on each wheel. Generally lower weight= higher quality. You want to stay away from gravity cast wheels as they will be weak or heavy(or both) and tend to have air pockets and cracking issues. Low pressure cast is pretty good and what a lot of OEM wheels go with. High pressure cast is quite good and are usually high end OEM and aftermarket. Shot peening is used a bit with low pressure cast and helps improve density/strength.
Of course there are always forged wheels that will run you a grand or two apiece...
Request the factory specs for each wheel you are thinking about hopefully you can compare from that.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

I think replicas are ok as a second set (for winters), they are definately heavier but still better than steel wheels with caps. All of my winter wheels over the years have been cheaper aftermaket alloys and they stand up well.
I'm now in the process of ordering a set of replicas for my '09 A4 Avant to use this winter. I haven't decided what size as yet, 17" vs 16". I currently have 18" with the sport pkg. I generally go narrower for winter....but of course the same diameter.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

Can anyone confirm what wheel specs I need??? I've currently got an 09 B8 with the Sport Package. Believe they're 18" 20 spoke wheels. Need to confirm the bolt pattern, ET, hub size? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:14 AM
1st Gear

I bought the 18" R8 replicas from oewheelsllc.com (on ebay) about a month ago, and so far have been very happy with the quality of the rims. They are slightly heavier than the stock 17"s that were on the car before, but not enough to have any effect on performance, ride or gas mileage.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by rwf0011
I bought the 18" R8 replicas from oewheelsllc.com (on ebay) about a month ago, and so far have been very happy with the quality of the rims. They are slightly heavier than the stock 17"s that were on the car before, but not enough to have any effect on performance, ride or gas mileage.

Yup. I bought my RS6 reps off ebay from the same seller with no probs to date. Been riding them for 2 Summers and looks like I have quite a few more as long as I stay away from curbs. Plus, I have yet to dent a rim due to potholes(Chicago streets suck) which is more than I can say for every other set of rims I've ever owned before. And I have lowered suspension.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice folks... Placed an order yesterday from OE WHeels for a set of 18" Gunmetal R8 replicas. Now on to the tire selections..... Likely going with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3.. but may decide for the uber-winter tire and go with a Bridgestone in the 'Studless' category, vs. Performance.

Pics to be posted when it's all done.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up Great -- I'll be buying some 18's from OEMwheels too

Originally Posted by 2.8Luv
Yup. I bought my RS6 reps off ebay from the same seller with no probs to date. Been riding them for 2 Summers and looks like I have quite a few more as long as I stay away from curbs. Plus, I have yet to dent a rim due to potholes(Chicago streets suck) which is more than I can say for every other set of rims I've ever owned before. And I have lowered suspension.
This is good news. I'm also shopping for winter wheels/tires. I saw Tire Rack had the Blizzak LM-25's for $150. I've heard these are very good in snow and the price is great.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/OEMWheelsPlus__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Last edited by A8 LOOONG; 10-01-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 PM

I'm a Yokohama man myself. Advan S4 for all season winter. Read the tire rack reviews by Audi owners.

Quick Reply: Replica wheels... Are they any good??