Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

Second set for my S5

Old 10-02-2010, 07:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Second set for my S5

Hi all - just ordered my new S5 Cabrio today...can't wait to get it (should be in a month or so). Anyway, I am going to need a second set of tires for the winter driving here in CT, and I am trying to consider different options. Want to keep the cost as low as possible without sacrificing performance.

Option 1 - go with the winter tire/wheel package from Audi. I like the rims and tires they offer (standard 18" 2 spoke with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D), but they list MSRP at $2695, which seems really steep.

Option 2 - go with same tires from Tirerack ($950 shipped) and pick a different rim. Would love to get something as close to OEM as possible, without paying OEM prices. Found some A5 OEM replicas here: http://www.hubcap-tire-wheel.com/aud...eels-rims.html ..just not sure about the quality, etc. Does anyone know the cost of the OEM rim, and where you can get it without getting gouged like at a dealer?

Option 3 - put all season tires on stock rims. Cheaper option, but I feel like I would just be average at best all the way around, and have a second set of tires sitting around.

Welcome all thoughts/suggestions. Sorry for the long post, wanted to be descriptive as possible.

Last edited by mpc578; 10-02-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

I am almost ready to place an order for an S4.
On my current car i have dedicated summer and winter wheels/tires.
The winter tires are very soft and great for the bit of snow I get here in LI, NY, but make dry driving a bit scary.
The tend to have a lot of 'roll' to them.

I am thinking of getting a decent set of All seasons to use in the winter, and just tire swap at the season change. Gotta have a nice set of summer rubber. It makes the car so much better for the way you are going to want to use it. I dont think i will be doing the second rims this time around.

If i were to do the rims, i would just get the cheapest rims recommended by Tire Rack, which i think is 129/rim, and the blizzak ws60 @ 168/tire.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:28 AM
1st Gear

I considered getting all seasons for the winter set as well. Seeing as I don't get much more snow than you (I'm on the CT coast), I figured a good all season should suffice. I just hate the thought of having to spring for a second set of tires/wheels...

Old 10-03-2010, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

you can just swap the tires. remount at season change.
I usually lease a car, and i'm sure the stock tires will be done at 25k.
So I will need to buy a second set regardless. Why not have them be winters, and be more confident in the snow.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

I didn't even think about the fact that I would likely need a new set within the 3 years (leasing). That being considered, I am breaking about even when comparing the cost of the second set plus tires to new summer tires. I think I am going to go with this combination. I am going to get 18s.

Wheels:

http://shop.achtuning.com/hartmann-h...olkswagen.aspx

Tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Old 01-23-2011, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

Please help me understand how you are getting a price of $950 for Option 2?

I have a new A3 with stock upgrade 18" summer wheels/tires. I don't want to ruin the nice, low profile tires & wheels in the winter elements so am looking at buying four Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D 205/55R16 from Tire Rack PLUS hazard insurance.
I see these priced at $461.44 before shipping.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....inter+Sport+3D

Note: after reading Tire Rack's FAQ suggesting minus sizing for winter use, I then I decided to choose a -2 sizing, so will be buying 16" wheels. Tire Rack has a great options for aftermarket wheels around the $100-$139/each price point.
This makes my wheel and tire package right around your $950 tire price.

What size of tires are on the S5 and is that the factor which drives the cost to $950 for 4 tires?
Sometimes low profile sized tires do cost a lot more, so perhaps that is it...

Originally Posted by mpc578
Hi all - just ordered my new S5 Cabrio today...can't wait to get it (should be in a month or so). Anyway, I am going to need a second set of tires for the winter driving here in CT, and I am trying to consider different options. Want to keep the cost as low as possible without sacrificing performance.

Option 1 - go with the winter tire/wheel package from Audi. I like the rims and tires they offer (standard 18" 2 spoke with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D), but they list MSRP at $2695, which seems really steep.

Option 2 - go with same tires from Tirerack ($950 shipped) and pick a different rim. Would love to get something as close to OEM as possible, without paying OEM prices. Found some A5 OEM replicas here: http://www.hubcap-tire-wheel.com/aud...eels-rims.html ..just not sure about the quality, etc. Does anyone know the cost of the OEM rim, and where you can get it without getting gouged like at a dealer?

Option 3 - put all season tires on stock rims. Cheaper option, but I feel like I would just be average at best all the way around, and have a second set of tires sitting around.

Welcome all thoughts/suggestions. Sorry for the long post, wanted to be descriptive as possible.

Last edited by PerimeterJones; 01-23-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Search this Thread