Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

Track Repaired Michelin Super Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Track Repaired Michelin Super Sport?

I hit a screw the other day [oh no, not my new super sports]. It doesn't look too close to the sidewall, but it is still the outer tread block. Not ur normal screw either, this guy might be 1/4" thick.

I've heard the words mushroom and vulcanizing and plug/patch combo so I'm going to a tire shop and trying to get something like that.

I bought these tires to track the car, so you think things will workout fine on the track with this repaired tire? i've read mixed opinons on other forums, want to see what people are saying here.

maybe i'll spark some buyer interest. I could always sell this repaired tire to someone who doesn't track their car and use that $ to help buy a new tire. These tires are pretty new so i don't have to worry about tread depth im thinking.

opinions??

Attached Thumbnails Track Repaired Michelin Super Sport?-2013-01-20_00-31-28_321.jpg  

Last edited by audiSfour; 01-20-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Former Sponsor

When it comes to using a repaired tire in a track situation I would not really suggest it. Can it be done, Yes it can. The concern is how will it hold it in the extreme conditions the tire will be put through. In normal everyday driving plugging and patching the tire will be just fine. If you are concerned with just the one tire you could always purchase 1 new tire and have it shaved to match the existing tread depth of the other 3. We do offer that service and I would be happy to help you set that up. That is certainly a less expensive option than buy all 4 new tires.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

I agree with lance - i would never patch a tire used on any type of track due to the heat cycles a tire goes through compared to be driven on the road.

That is also borderline a no go on a street plug/patch as the rule of thumb is to never repair a tire if the puncture is on the outer tread area ( shoulder and belt edge )

Last edited by 01 Avant; 01-24-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the feedback.

first things first, i need to see if i can even repair this because of it being towards the edge of the tread.

Ive emailed the guy in charge of the race club i run with and he says he's sure its common for guys to run with a patch/plug. So i'm less worried about that. just need to regularly check my tire pressure.

i'm just hoping it can be repaired because i would hate to buy another one so quickly.