Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

Winter Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Winter Tires?

Ok everyone,

So i know it's a little early for most people to be thinking winter, but i live in Michigan so i always need to be ready 2 months in advance. Plus, there's a website that i'm considering buying tires from that has a good deal on them right now so i guess i'll just be really prepared this year.

Anyway, the tires i'm trying to choose between are the Nokian WR-G2:
Nokian WR G2 Tires at Discount Prices - Free Shipping! | TiresByWeb.com
And the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R tires:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R Tires at Discount Prices - Free Shipping! | TiresByWeb.com

They both seem like really good tires but i'm at a loss as to which one i should get. If anyone has had any experience driving these tires on an Audi A4 please let me know, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if any of you are thinking about getting any snow tires, TiresByWeb has a pretty good promotion going on right now. If you enter CARCLUB at checkout you can get $10 off of 1 tire or $40 off a set of 4. Plus all their products come with free shipping.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

I've owned neither of those tires, however, I have owned the Pirelli sottozero and currently have Continental Extreme Contact, both were and are on my mustang. I can tell you for sure both tires are good in the rain and dry. I can only speak for the Sottozero for the snow because I just got the the Continental. The Sottozero were a great tire in the snow taken the fact that the car is RWD and a V8. The car still went sideways, but there was more control to it, plus, the I could finally start going from a stop with out the rear needing to pitch out. The best part about the Sottozero is that it handles better then most summer tires in the dry.

My guess (def a guess) is the first tire looks like it would do ok in the dry and be more of an "all around" tire since the tread design is so similar to the Extreme Contact and the Sottozero.

2nd tire has a similar design to Michelin's The X-Ice Xi2, which is more of a aggressive tire for the snow, but not as good in the dry. I'm pretty sure the X-ice is on sale @ tirerack.com

What ever tire you decide to get, let us know what you think.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 AM
1st Gear
Default Hakkapeliitta R Tires

Thanks so much for your input!

Yeah i ended up going with the Hakkapeliitta R Tires. Simply because they are dedicated winter tires (i already have some amazing Summer tires - Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas. You should check those out, best tires i've ever owned). I'm excited to test these out in the snow. They look pretty great, but the real test will come in November! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:25 PM
1st Gear

I cant' wait for it to snow to test my AWD out, I've been stuck with RWD for a long time.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

Tell me about it!

I was driving a 2002 Mustang GT Convertible for the longest time. Michigan winters + RWD (even with snow tires) does not end well. I had countless experiences with ditches, tow truck drivers, and mountains of snow.

AWD is definitely the way to go if you ever see snow!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Go4Gold
Tell me about it!

I was driving a 2002 Mustang GT Convertible for the longest time. Michigan winters + RWD (even with snow tires) does not end well. I had countless experiences with ditches, tow truck drivers, and mountains of snow.

AWD is definitely the way to go if you ever see snow!
Then you know my pain! After you really get to test those tires out, let us know what you think. If i for some reason get stuck (again) in the snow with the stang, I'll let you guys know how the dws do!

I've looked @ the hakk before, but I could not find a good amount of reviews on them, so let us know what you think.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:47 PM
1st Gear
Default TiresByWeb Savings!

Hey everyone,

Just letting you know that there is an exclusive deal on winter tires and wheels to members of this forum! Enter NOKIAN40 at checkout and save $40 on any winter tires or wheels.

Just go to TIRESBYWEB.com and save! We sell many brands of winter tires such as Nokian, Vredestein, Multi-Mile Artic Claw and much more!

Glad you had a good experience with us Go4Gold, we look forward to doing business with you again!

Last edited by tiresbyweb; 09-23-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Advice on A5 winter tires

I'm a bit more limited on choice since I have the Sport package and the body is a bit lower than the stock A5. The term that I kept hearing was "mid offset."

I was looking at:
- 245/40R18 XL Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 Blackwall
- Hartmann HTTRS-256 18x8 rims (pic attached).

I'm happy to take any suggestions or hear feedback on options for my car. I'm planning to buy in the next two months...

I currently have Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT summer performance tires on 19" S-line Y rims.

Attached Images  

Last edited by techorize; 09-21-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Updated current tires