B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Getting ESP, ABS, and flashing brake light error after HID install

Old 04-09-2007, 12:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Getting ESP, ABS, and flashing brake light error after HID install

So yesterday I decided to put in my HIDs, new temp sensor, air filter, cabin pollen filter, and attempted to install new hella horns, but then releaized there is not enough space so I'll just order a stock horn. The temp sensor, air, and pollen filters were pretty straight forward. The only reason I even mention them is because of the weird warning lights I am seeing, I figured I could have disconnected a sensor or something in one of these areas.

But the more likely culprit is my new HIDs. I ordered them from vision bulbs. They did require some modification. not as plug and play as I would have thought. But nothing to major. Now because the supplied power line was too short to make it back to the battery, I did not use the relay and big wiring harness. Perhaps this was a mistake and I can fix that. But I figured the B6 had optional HIDs so the wiring should be substantial enough to handle a 35W ballast. So when I startup the car with the lights out I get an error warning that the left front turn signal is out. Sure enough it is a milky color and blown for sure. not sure how this happened as it was working before the install. This sort of concerns me. Now beforeI turn my headlights on it's hit or miss whether the ESP signal(! with circle around it)will be lite or not. It is lite about 75% of the startups. However, as soon as I turn my lights on, and the HIDs work great, but the ABS and ESP are lite and the red e-brake light is blinking(regardless of the position of the e-brake).

Has anyone had this problem before? Am I putting too much strain on the stock wiring with this aftermarket HID kit? Do I need to install the wiring harness? Is there a sensor or something I knocked lose?

Oh I did remove thelow tone horn from the passenger side. So that connector is just hanging there, but the horn wasn't working so I doubt this is causing any problems.

Thanks for any assistance,
Mike

Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Getting ESP, ABS, and flashing brake light error after HID install

Some others have said the relay will fix my problem. So I'm looking at wiring harness. There are 5 connections. Positive battery, ground, left ballast connection, right ballast connection, and a fith green connection. This looks to be the same connection the bulb uses. it's this fifth connection I'm curious about.
It doesn't have a gromet to go inside the lense like the wires from the bulb do. So an I supposed to connect this to one of the lights? Do I remove to wires and run these into the gromet? Or do I not need this connector?
Thanks for any help,
Mike

Old 12-27-2007, 02:42 AM
1st Gear

I got same problem, too!!!

I think I have to install the relay-harness for Aftermaret HID kit.

did your problem get solved after relay harness?

Old 12-27-2007, 02:55 AM

does ur abs work?

Old 12-27-2007, 03:25 AM
1st Gear

Not sure if ABS works, (unless i give it a try and brake really hard on rainy road)
but i believe once ESP, ABS, Hand-brake(blinking) all light on,
Safty functions are disabled. Like ESP, ABS functions are disabled.

I brought my car to the shop and they said it getta to be the Aftermarket HID triggers the on-board computer.
the vottage confuses the on-board computer, sth like that.

did you solve your problem ?

Old 12-27-2007, 03:27 AM
1st Gear

I did a research online.

Looks like we either need relay-harness or Audi HID kits computer warning canceller (a computer error, "CANBUS" problem.) ?

Old 02-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Default Hid

Hey guys i'm new to the forum. I am installing a set of aftermarket HIDs on Monday. I have read some and see that people have this error code after installation. What do i need to remedy the problem and where can i get the item to fix it. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:28 PM

I have abs and blinking brake light too and I did install aftermarket HIDs. One of the bulbs went out so I installed factory hids from my other audi the problem didn't go away. The only thing is that this car doesn't come with factory hids

Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

Im having the same problem, going to try the relays today at work if we arent busy and see if that works, I'll let you guys know.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

OK, here is the problem. There are a couple of things going on in your car right now. 1) You need to install that relay ASAP, let me explain why...

Let us say you have circuit A for your HID's and circuit B for the old headlights. What you did was basically just combine it into one huge circuit and it is putting a dreadful load on your entire electrical system. Hook your battery up to a multimeter and see what voltage it reads. My guess is somewhere between 9V and 11.5V. Probably not in the 12.5V to 14V range. The purpose of the relay is the following. For circuit A they use heavier gauge wiring which carries the current much better, the wire heats less, which means less resistance, etc. Circuit B is a smaller gauge and can only carry so much current, not enough to support HID's. Basically the kit they gave you does this. When circuit b turns on, a current passes through the relay activating the coil inside of the relay which then closes the circuit in circuit A activating the ballasts.

In laymans terms your putting undue stress on the car's electrical system and audi / vw vehicles are very very finicky with the nominal voltage that the car runs on . Take the extra time to install the HID's with the correct wires and the RELAY.

Unhook the battery while you do that so the computer resets. When it is all hooked up the right way reconnect the battery. I am almost willing to bet that will solve your problem.

2) One other thing is to check your computer for codes. See what type of codes are getting set off. Check PENDING AND ACTIVE codes. PENDING won't illuminate the MIL in most cases. Get yourself an OBDII reader to do that. If your seeing a lot of ...system low voltage ...circuit short ...no signal ...signal low, etc... then what I wrote above should resolve your issues.

Let me know how you make out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting ESP, ABS, and flashing brake light error after HID install