B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Getting ESP, ABS, and flashing brake light error after HID install

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:41 PM

I made my last post earlier today at work. When I drove in this morning the ESP light was on. I turned the car on after work and drove home and no ESP light. It seems to have fixed on its on. Hopefully that is the case.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Raudi_02
I installed my HID last weekend on my B6 and encountered the ESP and ABS problem same as mentioned earlier whenever I turned ON my headlights. The simple fix I did was to connect the case of the HID ballast to Chassis GND. Seems like the Ballast is emitting an ElectroMagnetic Interference (EMI noise)that affect the Electronics circuitry of the ABS module. By Grounding the case of the HID Ballast you are creating a Ground Shield. I did it on the driver side only as it is the nearest to the ABS module (less than foot). I can take a picture and pos it later if anyone interested.
I was having the same issue so I tried your fix today with no luck, Now I only did the driver side like you so tomorrow I am going ot try and do the pas side and see what happens.

After reading some other threads some people tried turning the lights on prior to starting the car with succesful results so I decided to try that... It works most of the time but is kind of a PITA to HAVE to do it that way without getting errors. Even with doing it this way I still sometimes get the TC light only but no others.

I also installed HID fogs while doing this and I have found that if I turn on the fogs and low beams at the same time the fogs shut off... I am figuring that since my car came with factory halogens that the wiring cant handle the load of two sets of HID's firing at once so I decided to turn the headlights on first until they were "warmed up" then turn the fogs on with no issues. Im wondering if maybe the HID harnes will help with this issue.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:27 PM
4th Gear

I have had hids on both my fogs and low beams for over 2 years and havent seemed to have as much problems as these current kits seem to be encountering. I very rarely get the christmas tree lit up in the dash but it seems to occur most when i either turn on the lights right as soon as i turn the car on or while im in reverse. I noramlly wont turn on my lights till im in drive.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
I have had hids on both my fogs and low beams for over 2 years and havent seemed to have as much problems as these current kits seem to be encountering. I very rarely get the christmas tree lit up in the dash but it seems to occur most when i either turn on the lights right as soon as i turn the car on or while im in reverse. I noramlly wont turn on my lights till im in drive.
Hmm strange, I have tried turning them on after i put it in first and as soon as I do all the lights turn on... seems the only way to bypass these errors is to turn them on before I start the car.

Maybe people are getting different result because there are different kits out there... What kit and where from do you have?

Old 12-02-2011, 05:54 PM
4th Gear

ddm tuning. I have had it on the car for a couple of years now. Maybe going on 3

Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

Yup I have the same kits but not the slims. I spoke with a DDM Tech yesterday and he told me that the error code eliminators wont do anything for the lights we have been getting, that the ECE are just for the out bulb light. BUT he did tell me to try relocating the ballast OR wrap the ballast in foil. Since I coudnt really find another place to mount it I just wrapped it in foil then turned the car on then the lights like you normaly would and no issues. I will give an updat in a couple weeks or when the issue comes back.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:25 PM
1st Gear
Default nice one

I got same problem today with my new after market hid, i was really mad all day till i saw your post ... ill keep u informed if any change....

Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by djlexx
I got same problem today with my new after market hid, i was really mad all day till i saw your post ... ill keep u informed if any change....
I've been running mine for over a year now with the fancy foil mod and still no problems. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Hid fault abs esp and brake lights on

well i did try your fix listed here for this problem but did not work for me , but i found the fix i think, i just did it today and so far no lights the thing was like that : the driver side headlight ( this for us and passenger side for uk) has same ground with the abs module and if u look on the plug in the back of the headlight on the side of it u will see some numbers from 1 to 10 , u will need number 10( brown wire, pay attention to the brown wire below that one is a bit ticker but cut just number 10) that is the headlight`s ground u need to cut that but a bit far from the plug to leave some room for next job, the side witch is coming from the harness put some tape on it and leave it as it is no need for it , the side coming from the plug connect a longer wire and run it to the negative on the car battery , erase any errors on the computer and job done ..... hope it will work for others as well ..... by the way my one is a4 b6 2002 audi .... let me know if u need any help ....

Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 PM
4th Gear

u probably could have just moved the ballast away from the module. the ballast requires a good amount of energy to ignite thus why the abs module trips out when u flip on the lights.

Quick Reply: Getting ESP, ABS, and flashing brake light error after HID install