Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A4 Tdi 1.9 – Breather blocked?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:11 AM
Default Audi A4 Tdi 1.9 – Breather blocked?

Hi all,
I have recently developed a strange problem with my Audi A4, when accelerating up hill I noticed that the performance had decreased slightly, then when I came to a stop I could smell a burning inside the car and could see a couple of wisps of white smoke coming from under the bonnet. All the temp gauges were fine. I got home and gave it a full oil change (using engine flush etc) and changed the oil filter, but I still seem to have this issue. I can still feel the turbo kick on on straights, however I have problems accelerating past 50 on slight upward gradients. The only other thing I have noticed is that there is a ball shaped section with a slightly elongated hole which appears to be part of the turbo that has spat out black soot over the engine (see photo).

I presume that the breather may be blocked... however I have read that some have had sludge in the manifold or and friends have suggested that the the turbo may be on its way out? Before I take it into the garage I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think that the problem is? Any help you could give would be much appreciated, as I would rather go prepared to the garage.

Attached Thumbnails -ball-turbo-.jpg  
Old 02-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Default Have visited a Diesel Engine Repair Shop

Hi again,
I visited a diesel engine expert on the advice of a friend, just for a quick overview. He informed me that he believes that the cat is blocked and that I more than likely need a new one. I have had a quote for £150 for a replacement and fitting. I tried to get the old one off to see if I could clean it out, however the bolts are pretty stuck and their angle means that its difficult to get the leverage so I was worried I might round them off.

Though I can't see a 100% way to check whether this is the problem, I will double check with the garage that is fitting the cat to see whether they also think this is the problem. Again if anyone thinks this sounds about right I would appreciate the advice.

If I manage to find out I will post for others.