B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

could a blocked oil passage.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
1st Gear
Default could a blocked oil passage.....

could a blocked oil passage make my car throw cam shaft sensor off? I replaced my cam position sensor and crank position throttle body plugs ran for a day and went bwck to doin wat its doing. Im tryna fix this asap

Old 02-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Certified

Not sure what engine you have but yes is the answer.

There is a tiny screen at the camshaft tensioner feed that can plug up & will cause cam timing problems. Very common on neglected slugged up engines.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

It runs then just dies wont start back up. Is this fixable? Whats a slugged up engine had car for one year

Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 AM
1st Gear

turbo chargers cook oil. If you havent changed your oil in 3-4k miles, its poosible it got cooked, got thick, and is slowly killing your motor through starvation of oil.

With that said, change the crap. run a cleaner like seafoam or one of the many many other techniques. Ive heard kerosene and auto tranny fluid are good cleaners

Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 AM
1st Gear

I use full synthetic. Qnd i changed it the first time i had it towed only got about 30 miles since. Sea foam into the oil? How much seafoam? Is there a proper right up?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Tech Certified

One more thing to chew on. If you start using cleaners inside the engine that is sludged up you will get a clogged oil pick up tube & end up with low oil pressure.

The tensioner screen WILL NOT become unclogged by running cleaners through your oil! It is something that will need to be replaced.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

How can i confirm engine sludge? If this is the case i might as well replace the pick up tube and oil pump? How do i go about replacing thia screen?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Also will this tension screen keep it from starting?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

Forgot about the pick-up tube lolz

I think if you have accesss to a parts washer and just hose the jesus out of it you can get by without replacing.

If your oil pressure or oil light is not on, I would not assume its the pump. Pull the valve cover and see what is goin on in the head. If you see dark black clumps or anything of the like, its sludge.

On a side note, if you check your oil with the car running, is it normal to see bubbles on the dip-stick?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by patty36j
How can i confirm engine sludge? If this is the case i might as well replace the pick up tube and oil pump? How do i go about replacing thia screen?
The pick up tube is replaceable separately. But i would not recommend replacing until you run a engine flush & it starts to clog.

As far as the car not starting , you could have a bad cam sensor. A clogged tensioner screen would not prevent the car from starting , only starve the top end of the engine from getting oil.
That being said it is possible there is top end damage (wiped out tensioner , scored cam journals , jumped cam to cam timing).

Quick Reply: could a blocked oil passage.....