Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Audi A4 Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:06 AM
1st Gear
Default 2002 Audi A4 Vibrations

Hi everyone, I own a 2002 Audi A4 Quatro with about 120,000+ miles on it. When I bought the car their were no big issues really although I did haven to replace the engine coolant hose. Just recently after driving the car for several months I slowly started to notice a slight vibration while accelerating and this is re-occurring. It doesn't seem to matter the speed I'm going the whole car vibrates constantly while my foots engaged on the gas pedal. When I put the car into neutral it slightly goes away just because I believe its at a constant roll.
Right now my cars at the Audi dealership and they're trying to get me to replace both my front left and right axles, plus my front upper bushings ($720). Along with that they recommend I get 4 new tires and an alignment. I know the issue doesn't come from my tires. They are Pirrellis and have less then 40,000 miles on them. As far as my axles are concerned I HIGHLY doubt its the issue and want to avoid paying the $1750 they are trying to charge me for replacing them. I'm not quite sure about how my bushings would have anything to do with the issue.
I took the car into American Tires and they reassured me my tires were fine. Its just a hunch it's not axle, yet the dealership did say the looked pretty worn.

Does anybody have any advice at all on what this issue could really be? Maybe the Universal Joint that connects my axles to my drive shaft? Maybe my motor mounts or loose and causing my engine to vibrate while on? Any answers or follow up questions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:16 AM
1st Gear
I have a 2003 A4 Quattra 3.0 and I just had the same thing happen to me. Does it also happen at lower speeds or only higher speeds around 70+?

I also just noticed that I have a ton of break dust and residue on my passanger side rear wheel. I just got these new tires and wheels put on about 2 weeks ago. They are 5 lug univeral and have bolt patterns of 5x112, and 5x114.3. I am hoping the guy at my tire shop did not bolt on the wheel to the wrong lug pattern, As I have heard that will warp the rotor? Could this be the issue? And if a weight fell off and unbalanced the tire can that cause abnormal brake pad wear?

I just bought the car 2 months ago and really hope it is not as major as a 2,000 repair, had plans of putting the AWE Tuning exhuast set up on it but if this is the case that will be shot right out the window, any help please I'm sure we both would appreciate any help...

Old 12-23-2010, 11:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Reslouttion

Hey bro whats up.
We took it to the mechanic and in my case I did need to replace my axle. But the good news is that it was only 300$ for parts! It turned out that there is suppose to be some grease in between where the axles and wheels connect, or the CV joints..I'm not too sure to be honest. I also had to replace the four front bushings. It's still in the shop but the mechanic told us the honest truth what the issue was. I was getting a loud squeaking noise when i brakes but that might be fixed as well. This happened at all speeds and I'm hoping it's fixed after i get it out. I'd take it to an Audi dealership see what they say, They'll give you a free Audi loaner to drive around until yours is fixed. (I've had mine for a week already), I only needed the Front two axles (Left & Right), as well as all four front bushings. He said that in my case the car ran out of grease and I was just driving on it making them worse. Axles were 100$ a pop and bushing around 20$- 40$ each plus installation. Hope this helps man.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

its the transmissions problem, u might need a new transmission...