Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P2181 Code Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 03:32 PM
1st Gear
Default P2181 Code Diagnosis

Hey guys,

I know this question has been asked countless times in this thread, and I'm 90% sure that I simply have to replace my thermostat. My car is a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. I have also seen recommendations that the issue could also be the CTS. When I'm driving my car, the temperature gauge on my dash is always below the half way mark (Regardless of how long I'm driving for). The heat in my car works and however I'm very sure if it works less than usual. If it is the case that I need to get the thermostat replaced, how much should I expect to pay for a job like this? My local dealership quoted me something around $350 but I'm pretty sure that price is high. Would I be better off buying the part online and bringing it to a local garage to be installed instead?

For the people interested in the technical details, I've uploaded a freeze frame of the problem using my ODB tool (It is in the form of an HTML file and it is too large to upload to the forum):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qk1txvhjve...port.html?dl=0

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2016, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

Hi, how much did you spent finally? Does replacing thermostat solve the problem? I am having the same DTC and the same symptom on the same model...

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2016, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cordawg92
Hey guys,

I know this question has been asked countless times in this thread, and I'm 90% sure that I simply have to replace my thermostat. My car is a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. I have also seen recommendations that the issue could also be the CTS. When I'm driving my car, the temperature gauge on my dash is always below the half way mark (Regardless of how long I'm driving for). The heat in my car works and however I'm very sure if it works less than usual. If it is the case that I need to get the thermostat replaced, how much should I expect to pay for a job like this? My local dealership quoted me something around $350 but I'm pretty sure that price is high. Would I be better off buying the part online and bringing it to a local garage to be installed instead?

For the people interested in the technical details, I've uploaded a freeze frame of the problem using my ODB tool (It is in the form of an HTML file and it is too large to upload to the forum):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qk1txvhjve...port.html?dl=0

Thanks!

Did the thermostat end up being the problem? My car is doing the same exact thing, the temp is always below half