Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 A6 oil pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

Hi,
I assume that you mean the warning for low oil level, yellow lamp ?
I have had the same problem, the lamp was ON even if the oil level was correct.
When I asked the Audi garage in Sweden, they immediately asked me,
"have you closed the hood" ?!
I had closed the hood, but I opened it and closed it again, a little bit hard, and then the
yellow oil lamp went OFF and has stayed like that! At Audi they said to me that there is
a sensor in the hood lock sensing that the hood is locked. If the sensor indicates that the hood is not locked, the yellow oil lamp is ON !!
So, if there is a problem with the sensor, the yellow oil lamp is ON !
(very strange, I think )
In my case the problem also occurred when it was cold and snow.

I hope this will help
ErikB

Old 01-12-2011, 02:06 AM
1st Gear

Hello

It isn't the yellow light for low oil level - thats one thing i have checked nonstop is the oil level which is was holding before and after the recent oil change - also oil temp holds normally between 210 and 230 - never getting too hot or anything -

the light that comes on for me is the red light indicating for me to check my oil pressure but i cant find any leaks

update ** i also had a buddy with an engine error code scanner and it couldnt come back with anything - note that his reader wasn't a high end one and doesn't always read the best for foreign cars he stated - i also have another buddy that has a scanner he uses on his lexis so im gonna try that

what i have read online is this red check oil pressure light randomly shows up and makes three beeping noises but i have read that it can be a bad sensor - anyone know of this?!?

also how would you identify a oil pump going out ? - could that be indicated by this check oil pressure light - i would think if the pump is pumping slower then me temp would get hotter - just my thought

i also have to replace my drivers side mirror with is heated and memory so if anyone has one lemme know black would be nice but ill repaint obviously if the price is right my year is an 02 a6 3.0 - i should have picked a 2.7 or 4.2 first if i was buying an a6 and hsould have not got this year for the problems i have and money others have had i should have got a 04 s6 or maybe 04 tt oh well

but back to this issue - anyone know of their issues relating to this check pressure indicator?!

thanks

Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 AM
2nd Gear

What oil viscosity are you using???

If you have no visible leaks you need to test the sensor you may have a bad sensor or a glob of crap hanging on a terminal, bad connection or something.
Clean the terminals good with a nail file and lube them with dielectric grease to keep the salt out. Sensor failures are more common than actual failures.

If your sensor is working properly you need to inspect your oil pump. A sign that your oil pump is failing may be more noise from your lifters as they need oil pumped into them to work properly.

Sea foaming your engine with a bad oil pump, if that's the case, is a very bad idea.

Diagnostics is everything.

If you want to pull codes you really need to use a VAG-COM. If your ecm is setting a mil it is also recording a code. You need that code! $200 from ross-tech.com or get a cheap one from ebay and do a search on the forum for set up instructions.

For repairs you need a Bentley cd-manual, Available at Bentleypublishers .com
or blauparts.com will mail you a cd. This will give you location of the parts and testing procedures.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

If you have the oil pressure light (like I do), like Jackmup said, it is most likely a sensor issue. If you really had no/low oil pressure your engine would definitely let you know by making a horrendous noise, like is was dying, just before actually dying.

To diagnose any other issues you really need a code reader that will pull your codes. Some parts stores/shops will read codes for you for free/nominal fee. Even if you can get some generic codes, post them and we can probably get you started. If you plan on keeping your car for any length of time investing in a vag-com reader is definitely recommended. Even if you don't do your own work it will save you time and money at the shop when you can tell the mechanic what codes you have.

Finally, with regard to any MILs that you may get on your car, anything that is yellow indicates a minor problem, potential issue. Anything in red usually means stop the engine or it will stop itself in a destructive sort of way (oil pressure for instance)

Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the thoughts - im thinking its a sensor but yeah im gonna pull it out and clean it - I do plann on purchasing a VAG-COM asap for myself

I havent pulled the oil pressure sensor out before - any specific tips - also is there a diagram on its location and an outline on what needs to be removed ahead of time to get to it

i need the purchase the in-depth audi owners manual still

and yeah i wasn't thinking of using seafoam for this issue

thanks for the thoughts!

also my brake pads already are shot - the wear indicator light came up and they havent even had 15,000 miles on them - what do you use for pads and rotors?

Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

2002a6 what is the oil pressure gage supposed to read