Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

issue with oil pressure light!

Old 05-28-2015, 01:22 PM
1st Gear
Default issue with oil pressure light!

Hi guys, not sure if anyone can help by I have exhausted all other options!

I have a A3 8p 2.0 FSI on a 53 plate. It started to flash oil at me in red (oil pressure) on a trip home. I turned the engine off and the car would not start again we tried bumping it, jumping it and drag starting it .. and nothing! This however I have temp fixed by disconnecting the battery when it does this, even then it will sometimes not start till the 3rd try, or at all.

Now when driving for more than 20 minutes or so, the oil light will flash and beep at me sometimes 3 times or constantly. I can feel the car has lost ALOT of power, could it be to do with this issue? The car is ALWAYS full of oil, the level has never moved in the 4 months I have owned it. I'm taking a guess at oil pump but there is alot of other choices! There is also loud noises when it starts but calms down when idling, but the engine, I'd say is noisy compared to others.

It's hard to explain all the problems but if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful! Thanks ☺

Old 05-29-2015, 01:48 PM
2nd Gear

Wild guess here: Have you ever checked or replaced your Cam follower? I've read about people that had their follower/camshaft break parts off that float around and clog up oil flow - which if you let it go far enough will destroy more than just the HPFP, Cam follower and camshaft.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:02 AM
1st Gear

No I have not checked that. It's got someone working on it later and he thinks it's just the oil strainer blocked, so fingers crossed! But I will get him to have a look and see what he can see.
It's just so strange how it was working fine then the next day oil flashed and it's messed up the whole car!
Thanks for your suggestion ☺

Old 05-31-2015, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

Update! Thankfully for me, it was only the oil strainer blocked. Some genius who previously took of the sump plastered it in sealer so I had massive strips of that, plastic shards and a broken metal bearing sucked up in the oil strainer, so obviously blocking it! Cleared it out, fresh oil and it's all fixed. 👌

Old 06-02-2015, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear

Glad to hear. Did you by any chance have that follower checked? it's only 50 bucks to replace but if it goes (and it will) - the replacement is more like 800 in parts alone.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:09 AM
1st Gear

No we didn't the mechanic that was doing didn't actually know what it was, but it's got alot more work to be done to fix the thing yet! so will have a proper look around it when it's in next.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

I'm having this problem right now. I also had vacuum coming out of the dipstick. I replaced the PCV valve and the vacuum was fine.. Had a ripped gasket. I flushed and changed the oil and filter. I pray the answer to my problem is the same as yours. Has the problem returned since you cleaned the strainer?