Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding/venting cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Bleeding/venting cooling system

Okay so I decided to ask a question about venting the cooling system for my first post after doing the timing belt/water pump change. I studied several DIY's (here and other sites) and the instructions in the audi shop manual before jumping into it. The swap went fine and the car sounds quieter than before (has 181K on it with unknown miles since last belt change) but I can't find the bleed points that the manual talks about for the coolant system. Does anyone have any pics of the locations besides the shop manual? Does the system have to be bled or will it eventually burp itself? I just filled it with as much water as it would take for now as I plan to flush the system and then refill with G12. Any help is much appreciated. Next project is the valve covers but even with some smoking I love this car. 2002 A6 2.7T tiptronic

Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

It may burp itself, potentially catastrophically (or at least in an ugly way). When mine burped it blew the upper radiator hose. It really sucked. Anyway, the bleeder is on top front of the engine. Stand in front of the car in the center, look down on the right the right, next to and behind the power steering pump. There is a hex nut there, 8mm IIRC, you will need a wobble and an extension to get a good seat on it. Loosen it up a bit and coolant will start to bubble out. Wait until it runs freely and you should be good to go.

hope that helps, I read my description a couple of times and because I know what I'm looking for it makes sense to me but I'm not sure that will help you.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. Got a good solid stream from the plug so hopefully most of the air is out of it. Much better description of the location than the manuals.