Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPS "cam position sensor" drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:53 PM
1st Gear
Default CPS "cam position sensor" drivers side

Sorry I forgot to say what I am working on. I am working on my 2003 A6 2.7t.
So I am in the middle of a timing belt water pump valve cover gasket replacement... etc Long story short I have made it to the part where I need to remove the cps on the drivers side??? what is the trick to this, I have looked all over the site for a diy or even an opinion on the best way to remove this PITA.....? Some insight from someone that has done this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by freedomone; 02-12-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: I forgot to say what engine I was working on
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

It would help if you told us what year car and which engine you have...

Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

On that engine the Cam Position Sensor is secured to the front of the head by two 10mm bolts. Simply disconnect the electrical connector and back the bolts out. That's it, the sensor should come right off.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TwinTurboC5
On that engine the Cam Position Sensor is secured to the front of the head by two 10mm bolts. Simply disconnect the electrical connector and back the bolts out. That's it, the sensor should come right off.
There is a coolant hose that is in the way I think I just need to figure out a way to remove it and there will be room to remove the sensor. It will almost come off without removing the hose, thats why I was hoping there was a trick to getting it off....

Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

I recall we had to remove the hose & the piece it connected to in order to get clearance to get the DS CPS off. Couldn't do it any other way.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:04 AM
1st Gear

You are correct CRuby I finely had time to work on it last night and was able to get it removed. I was surprised how brittle the plastic plug was on the cps it cracked as I was unplugging it, luckily I had bought a new cps to replace it while I had it off anyway. Thanks for the help..