Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight washer pump not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Headlight washer pump not working

I got my 2000 Audi A6 2.7T back in October and is my first Audi. I am working out some minor things and using this board as a valuable resource. Just for starters, the windshield washer pump works fine. When I took out the inner wheel well liner, I noticed the plug for the headlight washer plug was dangling free. I removed the tank and discovered there wasn't a headlight washer pump and the hole where it would insert was plugged. I then ordered a replacement pump and got it a couple days ago and used a vehicle jump starter and tested the pump to make sure it works and it did. I connected it to the headlight washer plug and turned on the lights and pulled the washer lever back and held it for several seconds and nothing. I plugged it into the windshield washer plug and it does work on it. I can hear a relay click when I hold the lever back more than a second. I've done searches on what might be wrong with the pump not working and am now at a loss. I have replaced fuse 37 with a 30A fuse too. What could it be at this point?

Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

Is the water line blocked. Maybe the original started leaking, does happen, so the guy removed it, then blocked the line, rather than replace the pump?
You tested the pump, OK. Put a multimeter on the connector and have someone run the fluid. Is there power at the connector? Also maybe the engine has to be running for it to work?

Old 01-01-2013, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

When I tested the new pump on the car plugged into the headlight washer pump connector, I didn't have the water line hooked up so there wasn't anything obstructing the pump from operating. It doesn't seem like there is power going to the plug. I had put the headlight pump on the windshield connector just to verify it would work too. I will try it with the engine running but with the key on to turn on the headlights, I would think that would be enough to get the headlight pump to operate. The wires are still wrapped in the wire loom and I would have to cut it open to trace the wire through the firewall back to the relay. Is it possible the relay would click but still be bad and not allow the headlight pump to work but the wipers and windshield pump to work? I assume the wires go from the connector all the way to the relay panel and would be the same color, correct? I hate to chase issues like this by buying parts just to find out that wasn't the thing broken. Is there a way to see if current is leaving the relay going to the pump and which wire?