Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Washer Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 PM
3rd Gear
Default Headlight Washer Pump

My 00 A6 Avant's headlight washers have stopped working. I use them constantly here in the rust belt all winter long and will be suicidal if I live without them for too long. So far I have tested that the pump still makes noise, but does not appear to be pumping any fluid. I removed the hose by the bumper right before the T splits it to go to each headlight. When I cycle the washers, I hear the pump engage, but no pressure is created. There doesn't appear to be a blockage as the cut hose will drain all the washer fluid within minutes. I tested for pressure by placing my thumb over the cut hose and had a buddy cycle the washing cycle. No fluid was pushed past my thumb and it didn't appear any pressure was being created.

So I assume the washer pumps internals are bad, but the motor for the pump still works. How hard is it to replace that pump? I can't see it, only hear it engage after the windshield pump engages.

I also read that the windshield washer pump and the headlight washer pump are the same pump. If that's true, there must be some sort of valve or something to separate washing the headlights/windshield.

Any and all suggestions and guesses are welcome.

Jeff

Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

Funny coincidence jeff I just replaced mine last week . A couple of notes .

The headlight washer pump is prones to failure .. they split open and rust and sure enough that is what happened to mine and that is what has happened to yours.

They are two different pumps. the headlight washer pump comes on only for a burst when you activate the windshield washer pump with your lights on .. what you are hearing is the windshield washer pump . I got my replacement pump and new seals at autohausaz.com for a reasonable price.

To replace it is not hard but is certainly a pain in the ***. the whole washer tank has to comeout the bottom .The pump you are after is between the tank and the fender press fit into the tank.

The best way to to do it is jack up the front drivers side and put it on an axle stand .. remove the front drivers wheel for room and remove the fender liner . not hard about 10 torx screws.

then you can disconnect the tank from up top ( the level sense and windshielsd washer ) and the headlight washer and headlight feed line from under neath. undo the thing with about 3 bolts total and lower ir out .. replace pump and put it back ... took me a couple of hours on a slow afternoon .

Old 11-24-2010, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

I replaced mine without removing the tank. There was barely enough room for me to squeeze my hand between the tank and the fender and I had to disconnect/reconnect it by feel, but it worked. Then again, I did mine on a lift which makes things much easier.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:39 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks guys, I'll order a new pump. But I am positive I am hearing the washer pump engage. 1st comes on the windshield washer pump and then 3 seconds later the second faster pitched pump for the headlights comes on, problem is nothing comes out the headlights. Either way the pump is bad I suppose as it's not pumping fluid. Glad you guys explained where it is, I would have ordered and replaced the wrong pump. The worthless Bentley manual says the headlight and windshield pumps are the same, calls it a bidirectional pump.

Thanks

Old 11-24-2010, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

isn't a bidirectional pump called a piece of tubing ?

yeah I could see how it could be done in the car .. but for the ten minutes extra work I took it right out and washed it .. works great now except it drinks washer fluid

Old 11-24-2010, 12:31 PM
3rd Gear

Did either of you need to order the extra wiring adapter to make the replacement pump fit?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...FILTER_TOOL=ON

Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 AM
1st Gear

..nope

The new pump has an extra little platic protrution on it ( it will be obvious when you see it ) where it plugs in .. .01 second on the grinder took care of it .. or you could use a dremmel or a hand file .. it is plastic so absolutely no issue at all ..