Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2002 Audi a6 2.7t Goals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 PM
1st Gear
Default My 2002 Audi a6 2.7t Goals?

Hello everyone !

I have a 2002 A6 automatic. Currently the engine is out of the car due to a dropped valve. I have purchased a 2004 2.7t a6 engine from LKQ with 75000 miles in condition A. I am going to replace all neccasary gaskets / new timing chain while the engine is out.

Now, what I wanted to do was simply 3 mods
1. Intake
2. Full exhaust including dps
3. Chip

After reading I've learned that the torque converters often go out within 15000 miles of those 3 mods (mainly because of chip of course)

So now I've decided since the engine is already out to put a built torque converter.

What I'm wondering is
1. What is the best torque converter for the price
And
2. With respecting the transmission (not ragging on the car 24/7) what other problems will I face with these 4 mods.
3. Basically, will my transmission (with a built TC) hold up ?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

Good morning bump

Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

good morning

i don't see turbos on your list. if you are looking to upgrade, and want to build a "race beast" you should upgrade the turbos and injectors and intercooler. pick those first. then exhaust. then your chip program should be written to support those mods. then you can do the intake last. stock intake is pretty good and unless you are going to really big turbos, will probably be adequate.

as far as upgrading the tranny, well, VAST had been doing some good work with beefing up the transmission, specifically the TC, to handle the kind of increased power you are looking to get. Sadly, VAST is currently in some kind of legal limbo, something about operating an unlicensed vehicle repair operation. I know that solutions exist, I'm just not very familiar with what is available (off the top of my head)

good luck

have fun

Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
good morning

i don't see turbos on your list. if you are looking to upgrade, and want to build a "race beast" you should upgrade the turbos and injectors and intercooler. pick those first. then exhaust. then your chip program should be written to support those mods. then you can do the intake last. stock intake is pretty good and unless you are going to really big turbos, will probably be adequate.

as far as upgrading the tranny, well, VAST had been doing some good work with beefing up the transmission, specifically the TC, to handle the kind of increased power you are looking to get. Sadly, VAST is currently in some kind of legal limbo, something about operating an unlicensed vehicle repair operation. I know that solutions exist, I'm just not very familiar with what is available (off the top of my head)

good luck

have fun
Im not really looking for a race beast, I want around 325 crank (from the 3 mods, exhaust chip and intake. I know the intake is already pretty good from the factory all I really plan for intake is most likely a drop in filter or convert to a cone filter. As far as the exhaust I plan to buy down pipes, what I would really like is the rs4 down pipes, any idea if they will fit and bolt up to the 2.7? As far as the rest of the exhaust I'm building it myself. And most likely i am going to go with a GIAC tune.

My main question is with a built torque converter with the mods I listed will the rest of my transmission hold up or will I need a fully built tranny just for around 300-325 horse power?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:46 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

I believe for what you suggest, the stock transmission will be adequate, after upgrading the TC. In my opinion, it is a mistake not to upgrade the turbos, or at least replace them, while you have the motor out. I am on board with your other plans. Have you read the sitcky at the top of this (the A6) section about the 2.7T? There is a lot of good stuff in there.

-not an expert, just an enthusiast

Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

I read a lot of it.

The stock turbos on the new engine are in good condition and I don't want to replace or upgrade them unless I have to. If I do replace the turbos I will most likely upgrade to the K04. but I am not sure of 1. How much that will cost and 2. I am hesitant to upgrade turbos because i see it as the limiting factor for the life of my tranny.
definitly not prepared to drop $xxxx.xx on a built transmission for a car that is only clean retail at $11,000.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

Thought I would add the car is a Quattro so that means no CVT right ?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02a627
Thought I would add the car is a Quattro so that means no CVT right ?
Yes, my friend. And congrats your self for it! Stay away from that cvt rubbish.

Also the tip auto have a problem with the torque converter chipped or stock regardless of year. Upgrading it will and being ONLY stage 1, stage 2 will be OK.
If you are planning on going with bigger turbos i would upgrade the valve body as well.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

Is stage 2 torque converter and valve body?
No matter what I'm chipping and putting a FULL exhaust & a built torque converter.
There are multiple built torque converters that I have found ranging from 300-600$
I am 17 in November, I do not have an endless supply of money. Therefore I want to buy a dependable torque converter so I don't have trouble with it for a long time (hopefully I will sell the car before I ever have to worry about it again)
I know there are guys out there who have learned the hard way I would truly appreciate some personal experience guidance, hopefully from someone who doesn't do every thing "by the book" persay.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 AM
1st Gear

Audi ZF 5HP19 A4 A6 High Stall Torque Converter | eBay

517 Trans - Catalog - Audi

these are two different torque converters that I have found.
Anyone heard/used either? have an opinion?
thanks