Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help-which wires to jump auxiliary fan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help-which wires to jump auxiliary fan?

My Auxiliary/radiator fan is not coming on and my coolant boils pretty fast w/A/C or in traffic. I tried the test from the fan/radiator connection on the bottom passenger side (bridging 1-2 pins and 3-4 pins). Nothing when bridging 1-2, but when I started to bridge pins 3 and 4 I felt vibration and a buzz, but no fan. Buzzing/vibration is also coming from what I think is the aux. pump-I can also feel it in the wire connection going to it from the bottom. I don't know if that's normal.

Anyway, I'm trying to jump the fan now to see if it works. I did the bridge pin test first because I didn't know which wires to jump under the cover of the power steering fluid reservoir to see if the fan actually works . Below is a picture of the connectors next to the power steering fluid. The one on the bottom right (brown and red w/black stripe wires is the hard wire connection from the fan control module and the other half goes down with the bundle of wires towards the fans. Is this the one I jump from? The wires are bundled tight from the fans to these connectors and it's really hard to follow one to the aux fan.

The connector on the bottom left has red/white stripe and brown wires (when I pulled this one and ran vag by accident when it was off it came up w/a code to check coolant temp sensor or thermostat), the wires on the upper left connector are brown and red. I don't think it would be any of the others because they're either 4 or 1 wire-the only wires you can't see on these connectors in the picture is on the upper right and it has 2 black wires coming from underneath it and I don't think that's it but I don't know. Anyway, I can't tell from the Bentley book and I'm not pulling any fan codes. I'm trying to figure out if I need a fan or fan control module so I want to test the fan! Please help if you know which wires to jump by the wire colors or? Thanks!
Size:  116.4 KB

Last edited by amiddle104; 06-26-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 06-26-2014, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

Just wanted to add Vag doesn't communicate with the fan control module (or abs, steering or AWD, but I think these are due to the bad abs module?). No codes come up through engine. Only HVAC code I have is 01810 - Actuating Motor for Temperature Flap; Right (V159) 41-10 Blocked or no voltage - Intermittent.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Not Exactly Answer to Your Question...

But here is wiring diagram for fans. Will try to check on my son's car since we're in process of reassembling from service position.
I know on front fan we had jumped it w/ 12V to confirm it worked, but we have issue with it not getting signal to turn on either.
[Edit: Don't know why attachment comes up so small. Difficult to read]

Attached Images  

Last edited by CRuby; 06-26-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

Trying jpeg.

Attached Thumbnails Need help-which wires to jump auxiliary fan?-fan2.jpg  
Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

Took a look on my son's car. The 2 wire Black Connector with Red/Black & Brown wires is for the electric fan on engine side (aft) of radiator. The bottom wires which are also same colors goes to the fan & the top wires goes to fan module. If you want to test if fan works, disconnect plug, & put +12V to red/black bottom wires to fan, while grounding the brown wire.
On our car, there is an electric fan in front of the radiator too. This goes to a brown connector at same location by pwr steering reservoir. It has wires of same color red/blk & Brn. Again, the bottom wires goes to the fan & the top ones goes to module.