Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sterio Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Sterio Help Please!

I have a 99 Audi A6 Quattro with the Bose system. I have had the car for over a year and the radio has never worked. Twice it came on out of the blue and then shut off again. When I bought the car the person I bought it from said that some kind of drain got clogged and the water ran into the drivers side of the car and filled the drivers side floor with water. (Only the drivers side. About 2 1/2 inch's of water) The sterio turns on and shows what is playing with no sound. There is a small speaker right next to the drivers head in between the front and rear doors and if you turn the radio all the way up you can hear faint music out of that one speaker only. I have searched EVERYWHERE and read a million posts and they all have different idea's on fixing it. I pulled the drivers door apart and checked the wiring going from the door into the car and none of the wires are cut, Checked all fuse's and pulled the radio out and checked the fuse on the back of the unit and checked the wires and everything seems fine. Besides the amp being bad the only other thing I can think it may be is I have read that the phone mute wire can short out and that will cause this problem. My problem is that I can not find any info on how to get to this wire and how to check it or possibly bypass it or something. Does anyone have any other idea's on what could cause this issue and any info on how to check the phone mute wire or how to disable it or something? I drive over a hour to work every day and no radio for over a year is starting to get to me. Especially when the radio show's you that a good song is playing. Thank you in advance for any info or help. Ohh I also pulled the amp out of the trunk with the speaker box and I took the amp apart and checked the circut board for any burnt out parts and it looked brand new. You can also hear the amp clicking on and off when you power up the radio. Thanks again.

Last edited by pontiacman; 02-25-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

Can anyone help?? It's driving me crazy...

Old 03-03-2013, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

Cheap way to find out of the deck is crap

99 03 Audi Symphony A6 CD Cassette Player Stereo | eBay

Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

already checked the deck and it's working fine. I still just think it's a short in the mute wire for the phone but sill can't find any info on it..