Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Bose Sterio Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Bose Sterio Help Please!!

I have a 99 Audi A6 Quattro with the Bose system. I have had the car for over a year and the radio has never worked. Twice it came on out of the blue and then shut off again. When I bought the car the person I bought it from said that some kind of drain got clogged and the water ran into the drivers side of the car and filled the drivers side floor with water. (Only the drivers side. About 2 1/2 inch's of water) The sterio turns on and shows what is playing with no sound. There is a small speaker right next to the drivers head in between the front and rear doors and if you turn the radio all the way up you can hear faint music out of that one speaker only. I have searched EVERYWHERE and read a million posts and they all have different idea's on fixing it. I pulled the drivers door apart and checked the wiring going from the door into the car and none of the wires are cut, Checked all fuse's and pulled the radio out and checked the fuse on the back of the unit and checked the wires and everything seems fine. Besides the amp being bad the only other thing I can think it may be is I have read that the phone mute wire can short out and that will cause this problem. My problem is that I can not find any info on how to get to this wire and how to check it or possibly bypass it or something. Does anyone have any other idea's on what could cause this issue and any info on how to check the phone mute wire or how to disable it or something? I drive over a hour to work every day and no radio for over a year is starting to get to me. Especially when the radio show's you that a good song is playing. Thank you in advance for any info or help. Ohh I also pulled the amp out of the trunk with the speaker box and I took the amp apart and checked the circut board for any burnt out parts and it looked brand new. You can also hear the amp clicking on and off when you power up the radio. Thanks again.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

All I can give you is the most common cause when an Audi with a Bose amp has no sound, and sometimes popping noises, is the amp itself. I'm more familiar with the newer ones used with an MMI, but yours is similar (just no optical network). As I said, that is the most common cause, not the ONLY cause.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. Im not getting any popping noise at all. I just get no sound at all. Except if I turn the radio all the way up I can hear music coming from the little tweeter right next to your head on the drivers side. It's very faint but you can hear it. And twice in the past year the radio just came on and worked fine for a little bit then went out again. That's why im thinking there must be a wire shorted out somewhere. Im thinking it's the mute wire for the phone but I can't seem to get any info on where it is and where it's known to short out.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

I have the same issue for my 2008 Q7, no music since October. This really sucks!