Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission Help

I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro with an automatic transmission. I was driving today and the car felt like it popped out of gear and is stuck in neutral. I do not have access to a VAG-COM currently, but I am trying to work on getting the software and a cable for my laptop.

Can you guys give me somewhere to start checking? The symptoms are that when I put it into any gear (reverse, drive, low gear) nothing engages. Even when the car is in park it will roll. You can hear the parking prowl trying to engage when you put the car into park, but it just clicks and clicks. Also, when I put the car into drive, you can see the gear selector on the dash changing with the gears and the speedometer will start to read like I am driving.

I'm hopeful it's not something too major. Maybe a new valve body or perhaps a shift solenoid? I honestly just don't know guys.

Last edited by ShaneInDenver; 10-18-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

Ugh...so after looking up the price of a new valve body I think I may be sick to my stomach.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

I'm really unfamiliar with the internals of transmissions (manual or automatic) and what exactly happens when they fails.. but the fact that it still rolls in park seems a bit strange for transmission failure(I could be completely wrong here).

Is there any chance you snapped an axle shaft/CV joint?

EDIT: After searching on google, it seems that you can have similar symptoms when the transmission fails (parking pawl etc). I would still check for a snapped axle shaft of some sort.

Any codes thrown at all?

Sorry that the first response is from what's likely one of the least knowledgeable members on here when it comes to transmission issues.

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 10-18-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

I looked under the car and didn't see any axels hanging down. Right now I am just a bit panicked, so I need to take a deep breath and relax and start thinking rationally. I was on my lunch break when it happened, so I will do some basic stuff after work like checking to make sure there is enough fluid, maybe get vag-com working and see if I have any codes in the trans module.

Shane

Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

Sent you a PM.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:19 AM
1st Gear
Default A6 Trans problems

I know there is already something on here about the transmission seeming to be stuck in neutral but I am having that same issue. I am new to audi's and I am just wondering what was found out about it and if the other person was able to get it fixed

Old 06-19-2015, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

I just had a very similar issue with my 1999 A6 Avant. It was difficult to shift gears, but the car drove fine, and then when I went to shift into park, something popped, the shifter felt normal again, but the car wouldn't move in any gear. It also didn't want to shift into park. When I dropped the transmission pan, I found that the dog on the shift linkage had somehow popped loose from where it engages with the spool valve and it ended up behind the attachment point (See the attached photo).

I had just finished swapping in a new transmission, but I didn't want to take a chance on anything in the shift linkage assembly being bent, so I took the valve body out of the old one and exchanged it with the damaged one. Once I put the pan back on and put all of the fluid back in, it shifted great and has been working fine ever since.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Help-img_4782.jpg  
Old 07-23-2015, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

Very similar issues here! Wheels rotars freely in park trans acts like stuck in neutral, no drive to wheels. However I also am getting code p0717! Looking for any information. If OP ever found solution, or ninetyninea6q did you have cvt. When I have somebody shifts gears up top while I am below it looks like linkage is "stuttering".