Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Electrical woes... (Oh no!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Default Electrical woes... (Oh no!)

Ok, so I have a 2000 Audi TT with the 1.8T engine. A couple days ago, I went to start it in the morning to go to work, and it wouldn't start. I had my dad jump it, and it started right up. Anyway, after driving less than a mile to work, I made the mistake of not letting the battery charge enough, and when I went to start it again on my lunch break, it refused. At that point, I just rode with my dad (who also works with me) to lunch and just let it sit until we got off work. When we got off, I jumped it again and drove it to the nearest Advance Auto to have the alternator and battery tested. Both of them returned good results, so I hsut the car off and tried to start it again, et voila. It did. Not knowing what the deal was I thought it was OK and let it sit for the night. The next morning I go to start and and it doesn't even crank the least bit.

I have no accessories plugged in or lights on, and the he head unit it turned off. What could the deal be?

The only thing I can think of is that I have a draw somewhere, but I have no idea whether this is really the case or, if it is, where to start... Also, I have heard these cars are a wiring nightmare, so I am really dreading this job. I have a of experience with wiring as my father is an electrical engineer and I am a computer scientist, so I picked it up from him over my years of working with the hardware-side off things.

Last question: If I would just take this into a shop to have done, approximately--and I realize that every shop, as well as every geological location, is different--how much do you think it would run me?

Old 08-22-2010, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like a battery to me.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Default dead tt

I have a 01 tt roadster purchased new. My battery would go dead if it was not run for 5 days or so. Dealer checked alt, battery etc. no problem. Dealers would not acknoledge there was a problem with the on board computer. England Audi sent out a notice to dealers there to replace, California had a suite against Audi (which they won) for reimbursement of computer. No other state sued. I replace mine out of pocket $ after carrying a battery booster in the trunk for years. Taking a plane on a trip for more than 4 days always resulted in having to jump start.
Hope it is the battery, but i fear not..
LOL

Old 08-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Default Battery drain issues

There can be drains on the battery from many sources. Interior lights left on, cool down pump in AMU engines, electric fans run in cool down, aftermarket radios and on and on.

Pretty simple to drive the car weekly at least 20 miles so as to recharge the battery fully or buy a 5 or 10 amp battery charger with automatic features and use it.

Go to Harbor freight and buy a digital VOM for less than $3. Check the battery voltage once in a while. You can also use the HVAC module to check running voltage for alternator charging output.

The dash clusters are a known problem.

salzmantt

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0e9eb9
check out this site

Many that have posted there are somewhat ingnorant and havent read the glovebox owners manual.....let alone kicked for a hard copy of the Bently Manual. Usual shop around price is about $60.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 PM
2nd Gear

1. Replace battery, regardless of condition, age, ect.

2. check fuses for current draw