Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

New to the forum, standard issue newbie questions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Default New to the forum, standard issue newbie questions....

I just picked up a 02 TT Roadster in Nimbus Gray, pretty much to have a fun car. It's pretty impractical hehe, seeing as I own two motorcycles also. At least my girl has a pickup. Well, I am pretty familiar with cars and mechanic stuff, but always told myself I wouldn't get a German car since they like to make it so difficult for the average person to work on. (My girl had a Jetta) But I really like this car, and got it at a good price and now want to get my hands into it.

I have already done some searching because I know people don't like to answer questions that can be found by searching. But I haven't came up with any good answers I need. I have a few little bugs I would like to fix myself, one being the wind deflector. I have seen so many posts in different forums about them not working, either only the driver side comes up, or it comes up 2 inches then stops. The driver side only comes up on mine and it comes up crooked. I have learned there is only one motor, a drive screw, and a belt that raises the opposite side of the drive screw, and the belt is most likely broken. Out of all these problems, I haven't seen one person come back and say "Yeah I fixed it". Has anyone even heard of anyone getting it fixed and exactly what parts are required?

Another thing that is kind of bothering me is the driver side door sensor doesn't work. It doesn't know the door is open, so it doesn't crack the window or turn on the cabin lights when I open the door. I'm assuming it cracks the window open so when you close the door, you don't get the pressure bump that makes the rear window jump, or something with preserving the seal against the top. I looked all over the door frame and couldn't find a switch. Anyone have any idea where I should start looking?

I guess the biggest help I need is a recommended shop manual. I would prefer not to spend $80+ on one. I actually haven't really looked into the manuals yet, but I figured it would be best to see what the consensus is on a good one, either CD or paper.

On the performance side, I plan to slowly mod it continuously, but don't want to dump a bunch of money up front (I have a Ducat 1198 that likes mods too). I have seen that a good bang for the buck mod is chipping. I'm a little new to the chipping, but pretty experienced with turbos. I had a highly modded Stealth TT back in the day and went as far as having propane injection on top of all the fuel system, ignition, turbo, flywheel, and engine machining upgrades. One question I have is if the boost is somehow controlled by the ECU. I have seen the upgrades where you send in your ECU adn have them put a specific tune to match fuel grade and mods, and adds roughly 40hp. I've heard people mention they had about 17psi stock, but were running about 23-24 after the upgrade. I'm not sure if the boost was increased by the tuning, or if he is just running a higher boost with an electronic controller because of the tuning. I'm used to just controlling boost by bleeding off air from the wastegate line until the desired level is reached. Also, after getting the ECU chipped, do you normally have to spend the same money over again if you make any other major modifications to get a retune? I'm used to being able to just adjust the fuel controller and boost after adding another upgrade. Can these normally be used in addition to an ECU mod to make any changes when adding mods?