B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Cold start problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Cold start problem

Hi, Guys

Im a newbie here, Ive been reading a lot from this forum , so I decided to join it, bought an Audi A4 1.8 1996 B5 european version aspirated automatic 3 months ago. Im between love and hate... It rides very smoothly , you can go very fast but you feel secure, very nice interior, wooden trims sun roof a huge change from my nissan sentra, car has been like a month in shop, had to change a/c belt tensioner, belt tensioner, fan clutch, thermostat (it wasnt even there), radiator (bougth wrong one, had to buy it twice), temp sensor, engine oil pump, coil pack and wires, timing belt kit, radiator cap, expansion tank, key, engine mount, purge valve, rear shocks, power steering pump, Control Arm Ball Joint Tie Rods Sway Bar Link Kit 13 , rear engine gasket, fixed engine carter, wherever I parked I left like a gallon oil when I first received this car my vag com showed like 6 codes, (which I also bought). I was finally seing light at the end of the tunnel and now I have to rebuild my automatic tranny, have been looking for some rebuilt kits...

This forum has helped me a lot fixing this myself or in my shop, but now I need help, Im having huge problem trying to start the car in a cold day (not winter) just cold, it cranks and cranks and you can see the rpms as they try to increase but it dyes. I crank it 3 or 4 times and then it starts, Ive read I had to check maf (which I cleaned myself and got rid of 00561, got rid of code for temp sensor 16500, mine was 058919501a, couldnt buy this same one, replaced for 078919501b, also bought another one green color 059..( dont rember the whole number )its installed, it just reads above the midle and then come back to the midle (but same issue while cold start), funny thing I dont get a temp sensor code with neither of them and they dont match the original , had to change the coil pack 190 EUR, had to order it form germany, changed purge valve (also got rid of code 01247), funny thing is that Im getting this code again but I can hear the damn valve clicking (ANY IDEAS??) Now Im getting the code for the immobilizer (17978) , but the light on the cluster (the yellow car) isnt blinking, it just stays, I read that if it blinks its turning engine off, (i got a new key and had it programed just in case) i think it this code turns on because i crank it and it doesnt start..., 01247 purge valve as i said before and 16716 knock sensor ( my mechanic said not to worry about that, that it was the sensor.

I really apreacaite if you could help me fix this, every morning Im not sure if it will start, oh I forgot to say that most of the time when engine is hot it starts at the first crank. hopufully I will have money to rebuild my tranny next year, I just want to have the engine working 100%.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 PM
2nd Gear

I don't want to sound like a dick, but have you changed your spark plugs? Also, how cold are we talking here?

Sorry to hear about all the maintenance. I went and am going through the same thing. I just tell myself that's one less thing to worry about lol. Good luck to you buddy!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Hi

Thanks for your answer, Im talking about 40-50 F, you know I replaced lot of parts but I dindnt change spark plugs, I will
change them and let you know how it goes.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:11 AM
2nd Gear

It might be worth a shot changing out the fuel filter, too.

I don't know much about the cam position sensor, but maybe someone can chime in and say if they think that might be the problem.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

Thanks forfor replying, ll start with the basic (cheapest) spark plugs and fuel filter. I read in a forum something about the cam sensor giving false readings to ecu when cold, does anyone know something about that? Fact is I dontwill want tothe start replacingwith parts thatbut may bewire Ok....Also does anyone knows why Im getting the 01247 code, purge valve clicking and its new, maybe something clocked...

Old 11-20-2011, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

Sorry, I think my phone was possessed, here's my reply. Thanks for replying, l'll start with the basic (cheapest) spark plugs and fuel filter. I read in a forum something about the cam sensor giving false readings to ecu when cold, does anyone know something about that? Fact is I dont want to start replacing parts that may be Ok....Also does anyone knows why Im getting the 01247 code, purge valve clicking and its new, maybe something clocked...

Old 11-20-2011, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't get "cheap" plugs otherwise you may be awakening a whole nother shitty running beast. Get some NGK BKR6E's ... 7 dollars for a set of four. A fuel filter is about 13 dollars give or take depending where you get it.

BKr6E's if your stock that is.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

HI

Guys

Sorry it took so long, but this is what I have done, changed fuel filter and spark plugs, remain the same, replaced fuel pressure regulator 3lb, it was leaking, but still the same, used yesterday a manometer to check fuel pump, left for 10 min and pressure dindt drop, still same issue, have to crank several times for it to start, would really appreciate some help here, next week I will check if maybe injectors are leaking....

Old 11-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Have you done a basic vacuum check to see if you have a vacuum leak? Did the starting issue begin as soon as you got the car back? Or was the car fine for awhile and then begin giving you trouble starting?

Old 12-09-2011, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

hi,

yeah im having a similar problem with my 2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro. It started a few days ago (which is when it began getting cold here in TX). I couldnt start it up, i had to crank several times and give it some gas too just to keep it from dying out on me, some friends of mine have said it could be the alternator but im not willing to drop that kind of money on a hunch, any suggestions?