B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

need help car is making loud humming noise/ vacuum line off

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 AM
1st Gear
Default need help car is making loud humming noise/ vacuum line off

So recently my 01 a4 tom has been making a loud humming noise while im driving.

The noise gets worse the faster I go it also gets worse than usual when turning left at higher speeds example going through a long left hand corner. When I turn to the right while cornering the noise goes away completely until I straighten back out. This is all tested at 100km/h on the highway.

I recently did two bearings on the car front left and rear right and both had enough play that when lifting the wheel up and down while on the hoist I could feel minor play. I just did the same side to side and up and down test on all four corners feeling for play and checking ball joints and tie rod ends and found that the rear left lower control arm bushing where the camber adjustment bolt is is destroyed and has visible play. Could this be my issue or is it possible something else is causing it that maybe I'm not seeing.

Secondly and with no relation to the above when looking at the car from the front with the hood open in the left corner just below my air intake line leading to my air box there is a puck style valve pcv? there's a hard black steel line going into the top of the head that has a short soft line tying it in to this valve and the soft line had wiggle loose off the valve leaving it disconnected. What is this valve what's it's purpose and what problems would it cause being disconnected. I've had a cel for a while now and last time I checked it the only code I had was for my secondary airflow injection.

Any and all help help is greatly appreciated just wanna her all fixed up properly.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

So I noticed after I plugged that vacuum line back in the car idles a little rough for about 5-10 seconds. Any help?

Old 08-03-2013, 09:27 AM
1st Gear

OK so my rear left wheel has side to side play and im wondering it it would be the bushing in the lower control arm at spindle/control arm connection.

Can someone please lmk if thats possible as this is really bothering me.

It seems like when i move the rear wheel side to side it flexes lots at that joint and the busing looks shot.

If this is possible could someone please point me in the right direction as to what bushing this is like a part number or place to locate its exact name?

I called napa to order the part and the guys telling me there an inner and outer bushing i just wanna make sure i get the right one(s) and not the ones for the upper connections (control arm to chassis)

Any help is appreciated need this asap really wanna fix my car up its bothering me that somethings not right.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like a control arm ball joint.. It's kinda impossible to identify which one as I am not there looking at it..

If you can't tell with the wheel off your going to have to devise a way to do it.. Maybe put it on stands and get under it while someone else moves the tire.. Maybe remove the wheel and put a couple washers and a lug bolt back in and move it back and forth with a screwdriver/brybar/ball joint remover..

I'm not sure what else to tell you..

If you can't figure it out, take it to belle tire and they can quickly inspect your suspension and alignment really reasonably.. They did it free when I got tires there a couple months abo

Old 08-03-2013, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

I have already had the car on a hoist and checked all four corners with a buddy as stated in my previous Posts. Like I said I know for a fact that the bushing is shot and needs to be replaced. What I want to know Is would that busing being shot cause audible road noise at highway speeds and is there one or two bushings in the spindle to lower control arm connection and what's it's part number to order it. Thx