B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

eps, check engine and camshaft sensor code

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:54 PM
1st Gear
Default eps, check engine and camshaft sensor code

Got a few lights on my car 2002 a4 1.6. check engine light stays on and when the car temp reaches halfway another two lights come on. I think its eps and abs light. Im just after replacing ignition coil last month after a misfire and these lights are annoying me still. I ran a vag diagnostic on it and camshaft position sensor came up so im gonna change that next week. Anyone know where it is on this model? usually theyre low down and easy to find but I cant for the life of me find it....also I hear the brake switch might be at fault her.....any ideas

Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Administrator

If its a cam sensor, it's right up top on the front of the engine, mounted at the cam sprocket. Pull the upper timing cover off and you can get at it.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

just had a look at it there. I think I may have replaced the timing belt out 1 tooth when I changed it the last time. I removed it and marked with chalk at the top and bottom and replaced back in that position. There is factory marks that seem to be grinded into the camshaft. Its out a tooth or 2 by the looks of it. Do these marks count or was I right to go with my own.

cheers by the way. Im gonna change it but ive a feeling this is what caused the failure of the sensor and the ignition coil

Old 05-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Administrator

You need to open the front of the car and align the timing marks on the crank pulley. See where the factory cam sprocket mark lines up once the crank is aligned. If the factory can mark lines up, then you're probably looking at a sensor problem. If the factory cam mark is off but your mark is on, then your timing is off and needs to be reset. Being out of time will easily throw the codes you're seeing.

A tip on the 1.8T timing - when you get ready to install the belt, and the marks are all lined up, rotate the cam clockwise one tooth. Install the belt starting at the crank, up over the water pump, over the cam, all tight, and then down over the tensioner. You want the cam rotated that one tooth, with the belt slack near the tensioner. When you pull the pin on the hydraulic tensioner, it'll take up the slack and pull the cam sprocket counterclockwise and line up the timing mark. If you put the tension on the belt with the marks aligned, it usually pulls the cam one tooth CCW. By biasing it by a tooth clockwise, it self-corrects when you put the tension on.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
You need to open the front of the car and align the timing marks on the crank pulley. See where the factory cam sprocket mark lines up once the crank is aligned. If the factory can mark lines up, then you're probably looking at a sensor problem. If the factory cam mark is off but your mark is on, then your timing is off and needs to be reset. Being out of time will easily throw the codes you're seeing.

A tip on the 1.8T timing - when you get ready to install the belt, and the marks are all lined up, rotate the cam clockwise one tooth. Install the belt starting at the crank, up over the water pump, over the cam, all tight, and then down over the tensioner. You want the cam rotated that one tooth, with the belt slack near the tensioner. When you pull the pin on the hydraulic tensioner, it'll take up the slack and pull the cam sprocket counterclockwise and line up the timing mark. If you put the tension on the belt with the marks aligned, it usually pulls the cam one tooth CCW. By biasing it by a tooth clockwise, it self-corrects when you put the tension on.
Thats a good trick. Il tackle that asap, very detailed accurate reply, thanks mate