B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

just bought a 03 a4 1.8t n having so many problems please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 PM
1st Gear
Angry just bought a 03 a4 1.8t n having so many problems please help!

i just bought this a4 a little over a week ago and it feels like i bought nothing but trouble its sounds like the fuel pump is humming randomly mainly when i turn key over also when i try to turn the car over it like stutters or trys a lot harder than it should to start and now my driver window is sounding like its struggling to go up within the first week i spent 1200 to get a coolant leak fixed the alternator wires were cut n twisted together with some tape on them from the previous owner n audi fixed it supposivly the dealership (not a audi dealership) is being pieces of **** on this whole deal they said all these problems im claiming are the nature of audi's i dont wanna get rid of this car at all i always wanted a audi but im starting to think i got screwed horribly has this happened to any body please help it personally sounds like a ground problem but ive never had to deal with a audi and i know low voltage can be a pain in the *** it sucks because the day i bought it everything was fine n then day after day it seems like its falling apart i could be over examing everything but the troubles turning over is not cool at all these arent half the problems but this is what i wanna fix first also on the list need timing belt done crank shaft seal leaking valve cover seal leaking thats 1900 to fix not including these electrical problems n one day i slammed on the brakes kinda hard and my stereo started bouncing speaker to speaker like the signal didnt know where to go PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:26 AM
2nd Gear

It sounds like you bought an audi. These cars are not cheap to have worked on, and if the car was as neglected by the previous owner as it sounds you will continue to have problems. Can you work on cars? Where do you live?

The fuel pump is common, probably caused by a clogged filter so replace that at the same time. The valve cover gasket is common too, mine went at about 60k miles.

How many miles are on it?

Old 04-11-2009, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear

i think it SOUNDS LIKE he bought an Audi from someone who wasnt really taking care of the car!!!
where are u from?

Old 04-11-2009, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear

oh and, if your fuel pump is making noises, it is better to change it ASAP cuz you might get stranded!!!
But here is some good news.... usually its your filter that makes those noises, it is much cheaper to change it than a fuel pump

Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

Welcome to the finer things in life!

Old 04-13-2009, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by ballswell
welcome to the finer things in life!
amen !

Old 04-13-2009, 08:58 AM

Ok, let me try to tackle this one issue at a time, your fuel pump is more than likely fine. Start by changing the fuel filter (approx. $60 for parts) and if the humming goes away you are good. Change the fule filter first because if it is in fact your pump the filter will need to be changed anyway and a clogged fuel filter shows identical signs of a bad fule pump. FYI, the fuel filter should have been changed around 40K miles.

For your alternator, I would say go in and make sure the wires are connected correctly and solder and shrink wrap them for good protectioon but the safest route is to get a new alternator harness and it probably won't be cheap but I will try and do some research for you. A picture would help a lot.

The leak from the valve cover is most likely the gasket, also a cheap fix. If your crankshaft seal is shot (which is unlikely) then your motor is probably toast. Are you sure that seal is leaking?

All of your other electrical problems could be coming from the alternator so get that fixed first and that may cure everything else. As far as your window, it could be the window regulator which isn't too bad to fix, just keep the window up for now you really don;t want to get it stuck while it is down.

Where are you located, I could possibly help you with most of these problems (alternator is the only iffy one, fule filter, timing belt, valve cover gasket and window regulator are a go)

Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

i live on Kent island in Maryland right by the bay bridge i can work a little bit on cars i can figure out how to do it but not diagnosing

Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 AM

Check with your dealership and run the VIN or go to the DOT website. There is a recall on the fuel pump and filter. Take it to the dealership and they will change it at no charge.