B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Performance upgrades for my 09 Audi A4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 01:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Performance upgrades for my 09 Audi A4?

I got my 09 audi a4 2.0t Quattro premium in September. After a couple months driving it, I decided that I would get performance upgrades because i basically wanted to get a better performance out of my car. So what types of performance upgrades can i get done of my audi that would make it a way better car to drive? I did some searching on Google and found I can put in a Performance chip, Stasis upgrade, and tuning.

However I would like to know if me getting performances upgrades done would void my Warranty because right after I bought the car i was given a 60 day Warranty and then a 3 year/38k miles extended Warranty that i don't know what covers "i will take a look at it later".

Thanks for the tips and suggestions

Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

From a legal standpoint I don't think modifying your car can immediately lead to void of warranty. Check out the Magnussen-Moss act. Basically, if you have a mechanical issue the dealer must prove it was your mod that broke it. Example, broken engine and you upgraded for Stoptech brake kit. they are gonna have a hell of a time trying to prove your aftermarket brake kit broke the engine.

That being said, Stasis is usually on the pricier side. main reason i went with them was so that i wouldnt have any issues with warranty and my car would be covered. I was told my factory warranty remains intact with the tune, or maybe the Stasis warranty is equivalent to factory. something like that. main reason to go with stasis would be to keep a warranty intact was my take on it.

For taking the car to the track, or driving very competitively:
Get rid of the all-season tires if it still has them and get some sporty summer performance tires. lighter, grippier (in summer, not in snow), quieter.

Lighter wheels, if you still have stock wheels those things are heavy, plus more open wheel designs let air in and cool the brakes.

Suspension upgrade. im hoping to tilt the back down more to try and make the weight distribution closer to 50/50. but drop the car down an inch, lower center of gravity means better handling. keep the OEM dampers if you still want the car to be a comfortable ride and not real stiff

Engine tune is best bang for the buck. This was my first stop. Stasis and APR are the leaders last I checked. APR stage 2 requires exhaust upgrade so include that in the price. Stasis requires no exhaust upgrade. APR cheaper, unless you go stage 2

Exhausts are more noise than anything especially when you look at what they cost. they do provide some hp gain, and maybe mpg gains as well. but its mostly for the sound in my opinion. This is last on my list because its the least bang for the buck (performance wise). you do save some weight though, so also factor that in. im still not big fan.

Front brake pad upgrade for novice track use. Completely different front brakes (rotors, calipers, pads, brake lines, fluid) for intermediate track use. All 4 wheels brake upgrade for expert level track use. Brembo is best brand hands down. Stoptech is more affordable and what i'll be going with. im going slotted, cross drilled are usually advised against for driving really hard

Front Mount InterCooler (FMIC). Will cool the temperature of the air going into the engine. More noticable difference at WOT. No real difference in day to day driving, so I hear, i dont actually have one....yet

For non-track use, general performance upgrade, good looking car:
wheels and tires, people usually get huge wheels (big wheels are heavy so this is actually worse performing, but good looking). watch out for potholes. bigger wheels will also be more bumpy of a ride

big rotors (slotted or cross drilled look cool) and nice looking brake calipers. no need for brembo because thats for performance, just get whatever is cheapest

suspension, lower the car because it definitely looks sportier and actually is sportier when you do

exhaust so everyone can here you. i check youtube to judge exhaust notes for different brands. make sure you match your exact engine, because a4 have both the v6 and the 2.0T

you could also look at cool air intakes. those change the noise the car makes, almost blow-off valve sounding i hear. some performance gain if you want to spend the $ (APR carbon fiber one). K&N makes a poorer performing/reviewed one

just my $0.02

Last edited by audiSfour; 12-10-2012 at 11:11 PM.