General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Convertible top window problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Convertible top window problems

I have a 1997 Cabriolet convertible (obviously). The seal over the gas tank dry rotted and the gas fumes made the rear plastic window complealty white, there are very few spots where i can see out of it. Does anyone know of any products that will clear it up? I have tried some things but it seems like i need a solvent to take off the first layer of the plastic... Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers!

Old 04-19-2007, 12:53 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Convertible top window problems

I'd really like to know what seal you are referring to.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:38 AM
1st Gear

ok in the compartment where the top stores itself if you rip up all of the fabric there is a circulur thing with a rubber seal around it. This i belive is the guage for the fuel level. The rubber seal is what cracked so gas fumes had a direct access to the plastic which made it white.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

I pulled the carpet up and looked at it. I don't think that is the cause, as you would have a lot of fumes, and I would be more concerned about repairing that than the window. Regardless, there is a guy on ebay that sells the window for $150. Search "Audi Cabriolet' and you will find it. The factory window zips in, but also has a heating element wire that runs around the seal. Apparently during installation this wire is connected to a voltage source and heats up to make a watertight seal. I asked the seller about that and he claims he has the wire in his replacement. This is not an endorsement, but I may have to try it out also. The manual shows a specialized tool that acts as a frame for the window that holds andputs pressure on it during the process. The seller claims that you don't need it to use his product and do the job. If you need me toemail the procedure I'd be glad to help.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 AM
1st Gear

in regards to the seal, I know that was exactly what is was, u had to ride with the top down the fumes were so bad. You would pass out if you rode in there for more than 20 min. but thanks for the tip on the ebay, I will definenlty check that out. This past weekend I polished it with various products and paint thinner (yea i just said paint thinner). If you use the regular and not the laquered it works.
Thanks for your help!

Nyankee