Mechanics & Workshops Kudos and complaints equally welcome. Know a good one? Know a bad one? Advise/warn others.

Electrical Issues A4 B6 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Electrical Issues A4 B6 Cab

Hi bretheren, I bought an A4 (B6) cabriolet 3.0L a month or so ago and after a leak during Florida thunderstorm (and yes, the roof was up) I am having a few problems with the electrics - particularly the remote (not operating the lock / unlock) / windows (stuck in up position) and the roof won't retract to open (maybe because the windows won't go down?). The worse of the ingress was on the drivers side door and this allowed water to get into the fuse box on the drivers side of the dashboard. I opened this as soon as I was able and removed the fuses and dried everything out as best I could. Also water seemed to have seeped into the steering wheel harness (nothing on the wheel worked until it had dried out - now these controls seem fine) The water seems to have got into the light switch (which I have been unable to remove from the dash to dry - It's not turning when I try to push and turn it). So the lights are flickering on and off although the switch is set to off. Also got a weird hazard triangle and circular arrow (maybe somesort of reset?) at ignition start. Can anyone help? Is there a second fuse box? Cheers, Ian

Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

Update - as the car is drying out, with a lot of help from hairdryer and FL sunshine (today), the lights now function and I've picked up the carpet and removed about a half gallon of water from the drivers foot well. I opened up the comfort module which was wet inside, so that it can air, does anyone thing that it'll survive it's immersion?
Also my windows are still stuck, roof still inoperable, can't open the trunk and no joy operating the locks using the fob. Any tips on extracting the comfort unit if it doesn't spring back to life??