B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

issues issues and more issues :/

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:57 AM
1st Gear
Default issues issues and more issues :/

ok so i have some issues im trying to diagnose and deal with at the moment.
1) i have a weird mechanical whine whenever i turn the steering wheel left or right, at a stop or at speed, noise will sometimes get louder as revs increase/

2) oil level sensor light (orange) is on, looked at it, not cracked or anything, cord still plugged into it, can i drive with this? you know the oil min light? its exactly like that but instead of saying 'min' it says 'sensor'

3)have a check engine light that pops up every 1-2 days then will go away in about to 1-2 days. seems to affect idling in the cold, will not start at 1200 rpm then drop to 800, more like starts at 900 then falls to 800 with CEL on but all is normal when there is no CEL

4) flex pipe is broken causing some squeaks/rattles/vibrations, think anything like that would be contributing the my other issues?

5) engine temp not reaching optimal temp. it fluctuates between Cold and Normal. only reaching normal temp when idling, then start driving and itll sink down to about the quarter mark and fall/rise a few centimeters

also had brake light flashing at me, not abs, and lost brake pedal feel. mechanic told me i was low on brake fluid and topped it up brake light went away and pedal feel is 100% again. anyone have any similar issues with mine? what did it do? and question of the year...costs??

Old 12-27-2011, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

car is a 2002 A4 1.8T "AMB" 5spd manual Quattro

Old 12-27-2011, 12:19 PM
4th Gear

U need to have your car scanned so we can know what codes are coming up? but taking some shots in the dark here is where i would start. for the whine i would suggest u check your power steering fluid. Its the green cap on the drivers side section of the engine. . For the drop in rpm and studder i would check ur vac lines. as for the engine temp not to sure. and the sensor problem should come up if u scan ur car. AT least you would know for sure and not go around replacing stuff that might not need replacing.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

#1 is power steering fluid. Likely a leak in the steering box, fairly common. Probably needs a rebuild. I'm in the same boat and need to top mine off every two weeks. Will be doing the rebuild sometime this winter. Will let you know the cost and the trouble. For now get a bottle of power steering fluid from your local VW or Audi dealership. Will be cheaper at the VW shop... DO NOT USE normal power steering fluid.

#2 is a bad oil level sensor. Had same problem when I bought mine. Get a sensor and with the next oil change it is a simple DIY. Three bolts on bottom of oil pan. Cost was $40 I think. Until then keep an eye on your oil level.

#3 and #5 are likely the coolant temp sensor mounted in the coolant flange, typical problem. Had same problem when I bought mine. Also changed out the coolant flange while I was there as I had a coolant leak which is also common. $15 for the sensor, $35 for the flange. Couple hours of knuckle busting small spaces work. Search for the DIY.

#4 not sure on that one, likely slows down the engine warming up in the cold and might be throwing some O2 sensor readingsHope this helps.