New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A4 Top engine Tick after Timing Belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:51 PM
1st Gear
Default 2006 A4 Top engine Tick after Timing Belt replacement

Hello everyone,

Just bought myself my first audi. I am a very skilled DIY mechanic and have kept my 95 jeep kicking. This audi however, is a new animal. When I replaced the timing belt, the Crankshaft Pully bolts stipped out... Had to remove radiator, condenser, and fan shroud. I finally buttoned it up Breaking my a/c condenser with a pin hole from placing it on the jack. this is bad luck with the job stretching another two days. When I turned my car over. The timing seemed to check out but I began to hear ticking in the back of the upper engine (Cylinder 3 more so than 4).

The ticking appears to go away as soon as the engine revs. The idle was a bit rough but it was like that when i bought the vehicle. I've heard horror stories that the cam tensioner can go or problems with the cam follower breaking (Located in the fuel injection system).

I've had ticking in a my jeep before (different animal but a car and it was fixed by oil delivery) I'm reaching out to all of you to guide me in the right direction before I drive the car into the ground. Would it be worth replacing the pcv system, cleaning out air intake, and doing an oil change before jumping ship on this car? It amazes me that the timing is right (No error codes or loss of power ) that this springs up after the sh** show I went through.

Last edited by jthomas; 08-29-2016 at 11:55 PM.