Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

99 audi a4 turbo problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM
1st Gear
Cool 99 audi a4 turbo problem?

Hello i just purchased the car about a month ago, and since day one i have not noticed the turbo, cannot hear it or feel any boost,. I know i need a boost gauge but i do not have one nor the funds to buy one. So is there any way to diagnose the problem without?

Thanks Todd

Old 12-21-2010, 05:42 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by twilliams83
Hello i just purchased the car about a month ago, and since day one i have not noticed the turbo, cannot hear it or feel any boost,. I know i need a boost gauge but i do not have one nor the funds to buy one. So is there any way to diagnose the problem without?

Thanks Todd
Todd, just now stumbled over you post. Did you get your issue resolved?
When I started to get my feet wet with the Audi turbo, I also had 'no boost' issue. In my case, it was an audible rattling along with no power. It turned out the flap in the turbo had been rattling (for months?) and was disintegrating. Since the turbo had to come out, I got the K03 custom built (all new wear parts) and modified (much larger wheels, similar to K04) by TurboConcepts. And a boost gauge was added right away, too!

But if you did not have the car long enough, may you must don't notice the boost. Get a boost gauge. If you only want to check, all you need is buy a cheap set at Autozone, splice a T into a vacuum line and run the line through under the hood, through the window to have the gauge inside. When done checking, return the gauge (or keep it as a tool in the box, its only $25:

Sunpro/2 in. 0 to 30 in. Hg. white face mechanical boost and vacuum gauge

Part Number:
CP8203

Price:
$24.99

Type: Boost and Vacuum
Size: 2 in.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:09 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your post man
I did get it resolved
I bought a podi boost gauge and realized i was in limp and boosting 4 psi, not very noticeable, so after fiddling around and replacing the maf and fixing a handful of leaks i am now spiking 8 psi
Thanks for your time
Hopefully it helps someone in the future
(if they use the search function) haha
Thanks again

Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by twilliams83
Thanks for your post man
I did get it resolved
I bought a podi boost gauge and realized i was in limp and boosting 4 psi, not very noticeable, so after fiddling around and replacing the maf and fixing a handful of leaks i am now spiking 8 psi
Thanks for your time
Hopefully it helps someone in the future
(if they use the search function) haha
Thanks again
If you turbo itself ever starts to act up, and you are not ready for lots of work/money, I can recommend a stage 2 chip and the custom K03 turbo I currently have in (K03 body with K04 like compressor/turbine wheels). This way, I got 18.5 psi out (at 4000 rpm), with very little work/money. TurboConcepts built it for me using my core and just a couple 100 more than rebuilding my turbo. Add the chip ($300) and for $500 (over rebuilt turbo) you show up with nice boost in midrange.