Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2004 A8 maintenance / issues thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:45 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 A8 maintenance / issues thread

Now that I've (finally) become a proud owner of a 2004 A8, I wanted to see if we could start a thread to track the maintenance issues for this model year. With this being the first model year of the D3 A8, it seems to have the most issues of the D3 model years. Hopefully by tracking all of our issues, we can maybe start to identify some trends ... besides what's already been posted by Auditech79, whose posts have been invaluable in researching the purchase of my car.

Here goes - Ludikraut's 2004 A8:
- Current mileage 105,000
- performed all scheduled maintenance, including timing belt/water pump service @85K

"unscheduled" maintenance (will update with mileage as I get the info)
- brake pads and rotors on all 4 corners (64K)
- replaced all coils (I think around 95K)
- replaced trunk motor
- replaced window regulator @53K
- replaced left rear wheel bearing @102K
- 117K miles: got a P0174 code - traced down to loose clamp securing MAF to intake

Things that need fixing:
- worn out window up/down buttons in driver's door arm rest
- worn out door lock button in driver's side door
- All windows starting to rattle (110K miles)
- Parking sensors are out (105K miles)

Oil change how-to here: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=150293

Technical documentation gold mine!! Enjoy it while it lasts, includes all kinds of Audi/VAG documents, including many A8 Self-study guides.

l8r)

Last edited by ludikraut; 02-22-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Site Moderator

I like the idea, if you want, i'll make this thread a sticky.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like a plan.

l8r)

Old 07-03-2009, 02:19 PM

We should compare notes of maintenance. I got a D3 A8L and it only has 50,000 miles on it so I'm heading right into the storm known as Service time. let me know what info and insight you have. Thanks

Old 07-03-2009, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

Looks like the previous owner of my A8 had a full brake job (pads/rotors on all 4 corners) done at 64K miles.

l8r)

Old 07-22-2009, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

I just bought my 2005 Audi a8, and am loving it. Only technical issues I've encountered is a small clicking noise coming from one of the wheels I don't know what one yet (so a wheel bearing i presume, although not a pain yet) and just the sunroof I had a problem with it one time. Some small piece looks like it was broken it looks like a rail and I just adjusted it and it closed fine now.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:25 PM

I have a 2005 A8.. No technical issues yet.. Love the car, not impressed with the end to end treatment from Audi.

Just heard what they want for the 55K service - $850. Kind of stupid when it is only an oil change, spark plugs, and 2 air filters. WTF?

Anyone who has owned an Audi for a while and has some tips on maintenance costs, please let me know. I am not a cheapskate. $295 to change oil is expensive. period.

Thoughts?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Site Moderator

Well unfortunately all repair shops will use aftermarket repair manuals to find out how much time it takes for a certain job. For instance, in the Haynes manual it says it takes roughly 8 tenths of an hour to change the oil in an A8, so you will pay for 50 minutes of labor just to have the oil changed. Places like Jiffy Lube won't touch this car. Once you find out where the oil filter is you will find out why.
You basically have to remove the belly pan, un-hook the secondary air pump lines from the air box, un-bolt the air box, and remove the MAF sensor, remove the air box and the filter should be tucked under there next to the engine. You also need a special tool of sorts to change it. The 4.2L engine also takes 9qts. of synthetic oil, so that in itself is $80 depending on the oil.
The bottom line is, buy a bentley manual, a vag com www.ross-tech.com, and learn how to wrench if you don't wanna pay the maintenance costs.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:30 PM

I bought my 2004 A8L last year with 80,000 kms.I really loved it at the time...since then I have spent half my year's salary fixing fixing fuel pump,air conditioning,radiator,in addition to all regular maintenance..This car has disappointed me so much that I will never never recommend an Audi as a good buy.This is only my opinion...
One more thing..everytime you have to change a broken down part...they come out with a change to the old one...and you can guess the reasons.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by boomzero
I bought my 2004 A8L last year with 80,000 kms.I really loved it at the time...since then I have spent half my year's salary fixing fixing fuel pump,air conditioning,radiator,in addition to all regular maintenance..This car has disappointed me so much that I will never never recommend an Audi as a good buy.This is only my opinion...
One more thing..everytime you have to change a broken down part...they come out with a change to the old one...and you can guess the reasons.
Thats because the 04 is a POS. Never buy an advanced car thats in its first year of production. If you think the A8 is bad, buy an equal 7 series BMW! Holy crap are those things a pile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 A8 maintenance / issues thread