87 Audi Coupe GT Fuel delivery problem, Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Default 87 Audi Coupe GT Fuel delivery problem, Any advice?

I have an 87 Coupe GT 2.2L. Ihave been having trouble with it starting. The problem started about 6 months ago while running some errands. I would drive and parkat several places and i came out from like the 5th store i went to and my car wouldnt start. It started when i turned the key and then immidietly stalled out. After that, the starterwould kick in and engine would turn but not spark up and start. I left the car and came back the next day to the same problem although it seemed like it wanted to start a little more. I left it another night and came back the next day, where it started after a couple minutes. I drove the car for another week without a problem, then it happened again. I came back the next day and it started. The problem became more frequent over the next couple months. If i drove and then turned the car off and then turned it back on immidietly it would start, but if it sat for 10 minutes or more it would stall out, aand then turn over but not start. Come back several hours later or the next day and it would start. The problem got bad enough that the car wasnt reliable enough to drive because of the fear i might get stuck where ever the car was turned off. So the car sat in my driveway for a month. I then went to start it and it started the first try. The car then started evey time for a couple days and then the problem started again so it sat foe another two months in my driveway. I went to start it again and it started the first try, drove it around for a good hour without turning it off. When i got back i turned it off and then back on without a problem. I came back 10-15 minutes later to the problem again, stall out then no spark up at all. The problem got progressivly worse over the next couple weeks and now it wont start at all. I sprayed starting fluid into the intake and it started up and ran until it burned all the starting fluid. I went through the whole can of starting fluid trying to get it to run so i could drive it to a local german car shop, but no luck,as soon as the starting fluid burns outthe car stalls out. Someone suggested it may be the fuel pump relay because they can go in and out like that. Has anyone had a problem like the one above? or does anyone know what the problem might be or how to diagnose the problem withoutrunning through the whole fuel delivery systempart by part? any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-05-2008, 12:00 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 87 Audi Coupe GT Fuel delivery problem, Any advice?

As a matter of fact, I have my 5000 Turbo Quattro wagon was doing a similar thing, I xhanged the relay and it would start and get me home but it would not start after that until three or four hours, the problem I found was the fuel pump, I did find another pump from a wrecked one and swjtched them and it ran for about a year, then started the same stuff ao I replaced the pump and it has been working ever since...What I was told was that the pump requires to be submersed in fuel at all times because it uses the fule to lubricate and cool it, if it does not have the cooling sooner or later it will start to do what yours is doing...

Turbo Rhatt

Old 04-06-2008, 11:43 PM

I think what happen was i had a small leak in the fuel line which got worse and worse over time, which eventually caused a lack of a proper vacuum in fuel line and lead to the fuel pump to overheat and and eventually fail. I finally got the beast started yesterday and was goin to bring it to my buddies shop when i noticed gas was pouring out in a steady stream from the line. I got her towed cuz i didnt want my tombstone to say he died for the love of his audi. Fortunatly this love will not allow me to get rid of her and become some sort of rice tuner, so we are going to get to the root of this problem this week. My buddy is actually trying to convince me to do an engine swap and put a 5000 turbo or the 200 20v turbo in the beast. How satisfied with that engines performance were you?

Old 04-06-2008, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

You know at first, I just thought it was a great little engine, then I fixed a boost problem I have been having now it is really a great set up...I hope that you have found your problem, and it goes well from now on...

Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
1st Gear

hey just a question if it was a vaccum leak, would that cause the car not to have spark, because i have the problem now, the car drive fine for the day shut it off and didn't want to start again, its been 2 month and I hope i get a pump relay.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:31 PM

A vaccum leak is one of the problems associated with my car, it may be something different with yours. Along with the vaccum leak, we are replacing the fuel pump relay, which can go in and out and be a real pain, as well as the actual fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel accumulator, and fuel lines. Check the relay and vaccum and that may solve all your problems. Im replacing the entire fuel delivery system because im doing an engine swap, but the relay would most likely due.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

You are right it is a pain to figure it out but once you have figured out what is going on it is soooooo sweet.....

Old 04-09-2008, 04:24 PM

Do you know how specific the fuel lines are to different Audi's. My lines are shot and i need some new ones but all the autowarehouse do not carry the lines and neither do the audi dealers. So im prob going to need to find some off another car. I found a dude with lines off a audi 200 TQ but im not sure if they will fit. Maybe lines from a 4000 might fit since the GT is basically a 2 door 4000. You have any ideas?

Old 04-10-2008, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

I will have to look and see, but they should be about the same with unions on the bottom side of the fire wall, look at the one the guy has and look under your vehicle and see if it ties in about the same...

Turbo rhatt