'89 80 Q fuel ? problems

Old 11-15-2007, 07:28 PM
LP
Default '89 80 Q fuel ? problems

I'll try to sum up first.
Ran the car hard on the ice last year for a 1/2 hour or so including drifting @ 70+ at the corners. Car starts to stumble so I get off the lake. The stumbles get progressively worse and more frequent. I barely get the car home and any incline shuts the car off (I could bounce the rear of the car and it would die). The tone of the pump changed and along w/ the incline issue, I figure that could be the probem.
Changed the pump (it was 9 degrees out, gas is COLD) and the car now ran, figuring I had it fixed I went for a drive. Not 5 min later the car stumbles again and also is losing power accompanied by black smoke and backfiring. Change the filter, no difference.
Previously this car ran terrible if it went below a 1/4 tank, this problem was solved by draining the tank and the rust that had accumulated so......
I pull the tank out of the car and clean it (not the most fun I've had on a Saturday). The car now runs much better w/ ocassional stumbles that I attribute to possible injector issues (pour in a bottle of Lucas and a can of Sea foam injector cleaner).Car steadily improves over the course of the next day but then fails again w/ similiar issues. Time to spend some cash.
I install a new fuel pressure regulator. The car immediatley responds and I think I have fixed it. 2 days later the car is stumbling and bucking badly again. Change filter, doesn't help. Install new plugs, no real change. Install another pressure regulator and adjust the 3mm screw on the fuel distributor to get the car to run again. Car again runs perfectly, immediatley.
That night the car starts to stumble again, like the fuel shuts off then comes back on, only on acceleration from a stop. It is getting worse and more frequent so the car is parked yet again.
The codes I have pulled from the car are full throttle switch (checks out ok) and altitude sensor (I think this is the regulator?)
I am ready to put in an accumulator and then take it somwhere unless someone has an idea of what else I can try.
Please help as I live in upstate NY and it is getting waaaay too cold to ride my motorcyle...
Thanks

Old 11-19-2007, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: '89 80 Q fuel ? problems

how are the injectors ...

Old 11-20-2007, 09:10 AM
LP
Default RE: '89 80 Q fuel ? problems

One injector seems to be weak, but the car will rev smoothly. I have an accumulator on the way to try out.