95 Audi 90 Sport Quattro dying

Old 06-19-2013, 01:49 AM
1st Gear
Default 95 Audi 90 Sport Quattro dying

The car willl be running fine then suddenly cut out. Sometimes briefly, other times for 10 + seconds. Occasionally at idle it will also just shut down. Sometimes it will start right away, other times it will take several tries. Reading on this site tells it me it probably the crankshaft sensor. I have seen pics of what it looks like on auto part sites, but I cannot locate it on my engine. An Audi mechanic tells me it is on the back of the V-6 engine block but I don't see it. There is little help on you-tube on this topic either.

I have discovered that some of my indicator lights on the dash panel don't work, and apparently the "Service Engine" light is one os those that is burned out. Therefore I can't check codes.

3 questions then:

1. How do I get the instrument panel out to replace the lamps?
2. Where is the crankshaft sensor at?
3. If you turn the key and everything comes on but the starter doesn't even click or buzz, what is the main suspect?

Thanks for help in advance. This is my 4th Audi in the last 20 years and this model is so different from my 85 5000, and 86 and 88 5000 quattros that I am struggling to advance my learning fast enough.

Greg

Old 08-03-2013, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

It turns out that the crankshaft sensor is not the problem as the tach shows the ignition system is firing all the time. I have since replaced the fuel pump with no change in performance. It still shuts down hard at random intervals only to come back on quickly, doing so several times in rapid succession. I have a test light monitoring the power to the fuel pump which shows it is always getting power when it should be.

The starter proved to be faulty and has since been replaced. I have been able to get the instrument cluster out to replace burned out bulbs.

Any ideas on the cutting out problem would be appreciated.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:38 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy Fixed

It turns out the camshaft sensor is being monitored all the time, not just at start up. Once replaced, it has gone 1100 miles without missing. It is too bad this site gets a lot of lookers and no advise. I'm sure I am not the first one with this problem.