95 Audi Cab. Oil leak at lower pan seal

Old 03-15-2006, 11:45 AM
1st Gear
Default 95 Audi Cab. Oil leak at lower pan seal

I have oil leaking from the lower oil pan when the car is running. I replaced the oil cooler seal since it was coming from that area. I have now confirmed that it is coming from the lower pan seal.

I was wondering why I can't find a PCV or anything like that to ensure that I am not building up too much pressure before attempting to replace the lower oil pan seal.

I have the seal.

Any suggestions or help with this kind of oil leak would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 03-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Default RE: 95 Audi Cab. Oil leak at lower pan seal

okey if you have V6 then a little oil leak is fine. I have it too.
the PCV I have no idea. but the vapors are getting away through the valve covers. you see in the back of each of the cover there is a tube living out, going somewhere in the mid section of the engine.
it is probably the top part of the oil pan. this is where it comes. I have 188K miles and oil leaks out through front seal and oil pan.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

I would doubt very much this is your only leak. You likley are leaking from the upper and lower pans as well as the front seal. The heads are also very likely weeping. I just tore my engine down to do all of these seals and was blown away by how badly they were all leaking. The job is easier if you drop the subframe. Although some say it can be done without doing this, it makes the whole job easier and you wont bathe yourself in oil. While its torm down, I suggest replacing all those hard to reach sensors. I put almost 2K worth of seals, sensors and misc worn parts in the car while I had it apart. Its was expensive but FAR less than the 3K the dealer wanted to replace just the headgaskets. While at it I replaced the leaking steering rack, Jethot coated the manifolds, blasted and powdercoated the entire suspension and subframe, replaced the motormounts and did the timing and drive belts. Make friends with the folks at BlauParts...you'll need lots of parts and won't want to pay dealer prices.

The problem with these cars is once you dig in, you find all kinds of issues and if you have to take something apart, it is best to fix any items in the same vicinity. Ive come to learn that many of the audi shops are real hacks and im far better to do the job myself.

Good Luck

Old 07-30-2006, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

How do I determine whether the upper pan gasket is leaking or the rear crank seal is leaking? I have what appears to be oil burning off on my exhaust pipes (smoke) and and the transmission coolant fittings underneath it all are always a bit wet, and it doesn't seem to be ATF fluid. Smell and color are not distinct enough. The fittings are tight. Additionally, fluid seems to collect at the bottom rear of the upper oil pan by the drive plate. I'm having a bit of difficulty excluding an ATF fluid leak. ATF pan is clean as though someone else was there before me, i.e. a bad gasket job. Both types of leaks are unwelcome. Oil usage is not extreme. I just replaced the valley pan gasket and all seals in steering rack, which were both leaking. I could take a small leak if it wasn't dripping on the exhaust and burning. '95 Cab 78K miles. How tough is it to do the uppper and lower oil pan seals? I think the rear crank seal is out of my ability if it involves an engine pull or tranny removal. Appreciate the help.