Cabriolet trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 01:41 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Cabriolet trunk

You made me curious. I looked in my '95 Cab trunk and on the Bentley's diagram. First, I would try opening the lock again and at the same time press down on the trunk lid. I have had the latch post (its called the striker plate) have loose attach screws and was lucky that I did not experience the same problem you have. Maybe the striker plate has moved and jammed the mechanism. Further, the lock is mountedon two posts that are only accessable from inside the lid with the interior cover removed.If the rod is disconnected at the lock, maybedrillingout the lockwill help if you can get hold of the rod. I don't believebreaking the tail light will help at all as you would still have to get through the lock.If the rod isoff at the latch, doing that damage would be for naught. However, since you cut out the ski bag, I have a plan. There are two 10mm nuts that hold the latch to the lid. If you fashon one really long socket extension, you could go through the ski bag area and remove those two nuts. That would free the lock from the lid but it still would be locked to the striker plate and possibly attached to the rod. I think you would get enough movement to get it open.I'd take the back seat cushion and back rest out for more room, but you need to know where the screws holding those in are located. This is a pain, but worth the try for minimal damage. Fashioning the extension will be a trick. Get the dealer to give you a view of the trunk latch so you know what you are after. Best of luck.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

I was replacing a center brake light bulb today and had the liner out. Breaking the right rear tail light WILL give access to the lock rod. I had erroneously thoughtthere was sheet metal all across the back of the trunk lid.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:14 AM
DRL

We have a solution!!

First, my thanks to all who answered. Hubturn, your response in particular made this happen.

That, and a visit to another Audi Dealer. This last visit really set me off. Three dealers, none of whom had a clue. This last one admitted (once the car was in their shop) that they didn't know how to get in. They didn't even know how to put the top down....here's a hint guys - in the owner's manual it tells you to set the parking brake.....

Their 'diagnosis' was to charge $700 to bash out the back end, although they still didn't know what they were going to do. Cost me $110 for a non-diagnosis.

Also talked to a locksmith, who said he could get the lock out, but didn't know where we would go from there. At least he was honest and didn't charge me for something he couldn't do.

So.......
After reading hubturn's note, ordered a new taillight lens from drivewire.com. Ordered a 3-day subscription to Bentley's and printed out the trunk & taillight diagrams. Used a drill&holesaw, hammer, keyhole saw, hammer, sidecutters, hammer, prybar and a hammer to open up the taillight where the manual showed no panels behind it.

Removed the 8mm screw mounts while slicing my hands to pieces on the broken plastic. Separated the lock mechanism from the lens. lightly pulled on the connecting rod. Opened the trunk. (Cheers from the gallery.....) Well, the dog thought it was cool. These last 4 sentences took almost 2 hours.

The culprit........
There is a electric piston connected to the lock mechanism that is used for the central locking system. If this piston doesn't engage, then all the turning in the world won't rotate the back plate of the lock into position to pivot the other lever that opens the trunk.

The second lever - the one that really opens the trunk - was disconnected, but only because the force of trying to work this against the other rod had pulled the threaded section out of the plastic sleeve it goes into.

Solution....
No more central locking on the trunk. Disconnected the central lock piston, assembled everything else, tested the whole thing about 50 times before I really closed the trunk. It locks, it opens, it's perfect - 'cept no central locking, which I don't care about anyway.

Cost.....
$150 for the lens, $20 for Bentley's, and $2 for a new box of band-aids.

Value....
In addition to having a working trunk, I learned a whoole lot about the top/trunk interlock, the trunk mechanism, and the worthlessness of Audi Service departments. Give me the good people of thisforum, Bentley's, anda hammer, and I'll fix it myself.

Thanks again.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:30 AM
2nd Gear

That is the kind of attitude that makes this and awsome place ... and i'm definatley ceerin' for you

Old 10-13-2007, 04:53 PM

Glad the problem is solved, I am posting because I had the same problem and there is another solution which might be of benefit to someone in the future.

I ordered a new trunk lock assy (don't remember but not much over $100). I then used a 1/2" titanium drill bit and drilled out the original lock. when I got far enough in, the trunk popped open.

2 small nuts, an actuator rod and a connector for the wiring was all it took to remove/replace. The new lock mechanism worked correctly with everything attached.